The Labour Party - Part 2

10 minutes ago, apelike said:

The problem with that and also elsewhere is just because an area receives more EU funds it does not mean the people perceive themselves as better off as it depends on how that money is spent. Sheffield for instance received money from the EU on several occasions and we also had that failed EU funded broadband project.

Labour will have to work with the rest as it's now outnumbered at 41 to 43.

Well that money is going away.  We'll see how hartlepool does over Labour held constituencies, whether constituencies receive money based on loyalty to the party that put destroyed them, or they receive money based on need. 

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

The actual quote as reported was:

"I really don't need lectures from you about this pandemic". Starmer said this after stressing the sacrifices frontline NHS staff had made during the pandemic, and that the pub landlord was complaining about the consequences of  restrictions on his business.

Very different to what you quoted as Starmer saying.

All political parties are coalitions Conservatives are, Liberal Democrats are, as well as Labour.

Seeing as though Johnson found favour with the people from Hartlepool, I'm not sure why Labour needs a working class leader as such. Though I think your broader point about Labour needing candidates who are from a base  which connects with voters is a good one. As I recall from  reading other Labour MPs are making the point that in years gone by one of the ways that the PLP maintained contact with their base was having trade unionists standing as candidates. Obviously as trade unions have declined, this link has been fractured. But there are other ways.

Had Labour elected Lisa Nandy, Angela Rayner, or Jess Philips- something would be used to criticise them. Whatever it is. There is no perfect candidate. Look at Boris Johnson, is he the perfect candidate?

Well, the local Labour candidate in Hartlepool is a GP working on the front line in the pandemic, and his wife is a nurse. The winning candidate was a resident of the Cayman Islands.

I think Labour are judged to a different set of criteria to Conservatives. People will forgive the Tories for a lot more. I cannot imagine either Jeremy Corbyn or Kier Starmer having one of the worst figures in the world on deaths from Covid, one of the worst recessions in centuries, allegations of sleaze and corruption, and on top of all that gain a Conservative stronghold. Just wouldn't happen.

Apologies for the mid-quote. 

My bold. 

Yes the Labour candidate is a doctor but as previously established, he's also over saw previous NHS service cuts & therefore is a proven hypocrite. 

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19243345.labour-candidate-accused-hospital-hypocrite-report-recommended-cutting-services/

Andy Burnham appears to have just squeaked in as Greater Manchester mayor. 

Perhaps the rest of the party can learn something... 

10 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

Andy Burnham appears to have just squeaked in as Greater Manchester mayor. 

Perhaps the rest of the party can learn something... 

As has the West of England mayor. 

46 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

As has the West of England mayor. 

and cambridgeshire and peterborough

I wonder if Sir Starmer is regretting waffling on about Johnsons wallpaper , when there were more serious problems out there .

Rayner sacked as chair.

So it begins

9 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I wonder if Sir Starmer is regretting waffling on about Johnsons wallpaper , when there were more serious problems out there .

Johnson spent time choosing the bloody wallpaper and then had to choose someone to pay for it!

1 minute ago, andyofborg said:

and he is doing so by removing the less performant members of his team. 

Indeed. We appear to have people on here saying they can't stand her and also getting annoyed she's been sacked. 

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Indeed. We appear to have people on here saying they can't stand her and also getting annoyed she's been sacked. 

The non-Starmer wing of the party are more concerned with fighting the Starmer wing of the party rather than the Tories. It's a shame, places like Hartlepool and the rest of us are going to suffer while they indulge in their schoolboy games. 

The above .

It feels like the number one party policy is infighting.