The Labour Party - Part 2

1 hour ago, TyneSoft said:

Why is Starmer such a wet blanket? And is he really a Tory plant?

That's the only explanation why the Conservatives were so successful in the elections.

Remember all the discussions after Corbyn went about who should the replacement be?  A Northern woman was the general concensus.  But what did Lab end up with?  Another member of the Islington chattering classes. 

Someone made an intresting point on the radio yesterday.  They said in order to make Starmer more in tune with the Lab masses & the working class voters, he should drop the 'Sir' title, (which apparently he always insists on), along similar lines of when Tony Benn reduced his monikers. 

Starmer clearly has a problem when faced with the general public as he doesn't appear to be able to relate to the ordinary man & woman in the street.  He comes across as awkward & condescending.  Case in point, the other week when he had that altercation with that landlord who threw him out of his pub. 

The landlord was actually a Lab supporter who had confronted Starmer about his non-opposition to the Tories in general over the past year during the pandemic. 

As we know, the altercation ended up with Starmer having to embarrassingly leave the pub but interviewed shortly after, what was the comment from Starmer & bear in mind, he was speaking of a paid up Lab supporter; "I won't be lectured too by the likes of him (the pub landlord)." 

Very condescending. 

Edited by Baron99

7 hours ago, sibon said:

If you change your vote because someone buys wallpaper and drinks beer, you should take a good long look at yourself.

Well, they are probably having a bit of a think .

They are probably also looking at the calendar and thinking that things change quickly and there are three years or so to the next GE. 

Johnson could easily be in jail by then.

You reckon ?´ Nah,I rather think he'll still be Prime Minister but I suspect you'll still be making immature puerile comments on here.

I’d be interested in seeing what the Labour contingent think of this piece.

https://unherd.com/2021/05/labour-isnt-working/

Labour faces the prospect of being out of power for another decade or more — perhaps forever. That’s why the battle that currently rages for control of the party, between its liberal and radical wings, is the proverbial two bald men fighting over a comb. If either side wins, it will find that the instrument over which it had struggled for possession turns out to be of little practical use — at least as far as forming a government is concerned.

Edited by convert

I have never been a member of any political party, and at elections passim I have voted for different candidates.

As previous poster points out, a lot can change in the three years before the next GE. From my (detached) viewpoint, the Labour Party seems to be split into three parts. Firstly 'traditional' workers in industry, transport, and the public sector. Secondly, academics - by that I mean teachers,,lecturers, etc. Thirdly the metropolitan liberals, who seem to be concentrated in the south-east. 

It now seems that a significant number of the first group have turned to the Tories. Part of this is because they see Boris and his colleagues as patriots, whereas groups two and three sneer at the concept. 

The parliamentary party don't do themselves any favours. Rather than putting forward sensible alternatives they waste their time railing against the government. Such as Angela Rayner do nothing but spout bile and hatred, no wonder they are viewed as witless.

These elections have come at a bad time for any opposition. They have been obliged to support the national effort to control the pandemic, and see a government minister - even the prime minister - on television at 5pm every night putting their case to the public. Like it or not, personalities play a part and Sir Keir is a subdued character. Clips of him coming out of his London townhouse onto his little front garden don't compare to No.10, but that's reality.

The pandemic will pass, some sort of normality will resume, now is the opportunity for Labour to reinforce their ranks and build towards the next GE. Sir Keir will have a part to play - he has a sharp legal brain, but someone like Andy Burnham should be brought back quickly, he has the personality and credentials. 

Remember that a few dozen 'swing' seats control the outcome of any GE. It only takes four or five thousand voters at a time to switch their allegiance in order to change the government.

My observations as a spectator.............

Here's a great quote in light of the Hartlepool defeat by Labour MP Khalid Mahmood.

Warning that the party has been taken over by “A London-based bourgeoisie, with the support of brigades of woke social media warriors”.

Discuss? 

My take on this . Labour perhaps needs an northern working class person as leader  not some middle class London based person. A person who knows what it feels like at the sharp end of life personal experience that makes relatable policy based on people needs. Look at the SNP they can win elections fight fire with fire the Tories do and win they play dirty playing nice does not win votes. The Tories may appear unstoppable but nothing is forever  a lot can happen before 2023/ 2024. 

3 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

My take on this . Labour perhaps needs an northern working class person as leader  not some middle class London based person. A person who knows what it feels like at the sharp end of life personal experience that makes relatable policy based on people needs. Look at the SNP they can win elections fight fire with fire the Tories do and win they play dirty playing nice does not win votes. The Tories may appear unstoppable but nothing is forever  a lot can happen before 2023/ 2024. 

My bold. 

Good luck on finding any individual to match that criteria.  Most potential MPs these days are straight out of university, having studied PPE followed by a bit of internship with a political party.  

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, GabrielC said:

I’m not sure that the leader is the problem. The membership is totally fractured. It has also  been infiltrated by a relatively small, but worrying number of racists. 

What they need to do is to root out the racists/antisemites ( call them

what you will).  Then, they can get on with the proper job of getting elected.

They need a set of clear policies that all the factions can unite around and they need to start fighting the Tories, rather than each other.

At the moment, if the leader is a member of The People’s Front of Judea, he’ll be constantly attacked by the members of Judean People’s Front. There is no point in appointing someone from the Judean People’s Front though,  because that just reverses the problem.

Edited by sibon

39 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Here's a great quote in light of the Hartlepool defeat by Labour MP Khalid Mahmood.

Warning that the party has been taken over by “A London-based bourgeoisie, with the support of brigades of woke social media warriors”.

Discuss? 

So should Labour dumb it down and go for the flag shaggers? The so-called metropolitan elite would then vote lib dems and the Tories will still win.

You've had a recent choice of old man corbyn ("he's too left") and starmer ("He's too right and too posh, and he tries to do something funny with wallpaper") and voted for an Eton toff who is a proven liar.  On reflection Labour didnt help themselves with their choice of candidate in hartlepool and at a local level SCC probably needed a freshen up. But thousands still voted Tory after the 14 months we've had, rather than an imperfect Labour, lib dems, greens. And that's OK just dont think youre going to get shafted less than the rest of us. I fear the good people of hartlepool will find that out quickly.

8 hours ago, staninoodle said:

Most likely hoping travel to Norway, Sweden and Finland once restrictions are lifted,where buses still run on time like the trains,and you can get a doctors appointmet when you call in the morning,or an operation when you need it despite covid, where new schools are built and hospitals,not patched up and made to last 40 years beyond their sell by date, with a police force that has strength in numbers,not out numbered by strength and every citizen feels safe after dark

Not entirely true as this link shows:       https://www.thelocal.se/tag/crime/

53 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Good luck on finding any individual to match that criteria.  Most potential MPs these days are straight out of university, having studied PPE followed by a bit of internship with a political party.  

Mainstream parties tend to like teachers/doctors/bussiness people and the like as candidates, obviously all intelligent people.

And people see those things as a positive, not sure there are many 20 somethings straight out of uni.

How many people apply or want to be an MP?

6 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Mainstream parties tend to like teachers/doctors/bussiness people and the like as candidates, obviously all intelligent people.

And people see those things as a positive, not sure there are many 20 somethings straight out of uni.

How many people apply or want to be an MP?

I don't think alot of Mps want to be Mps, they want to be ministers. You aren't going to find the newly elected MP for hartlepool in the northern echo pointing at pot holes.