The Labour Party - Part 2

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

There is something wrong with the system when an honest decent man like Corbyn can be so maligned, and an obvious liar and charlatan like Johnson becomes Prime Minister. 

I agree, but those on the left dont seem to keen on voting for Kier so it will repeat over and over again. The opposition  vote and the vote on the left is split. Meaning the Tories will win again.

Will you be supporting Kier Starmer?

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

There is something wrong with the system when an honest decent man like Corbyn can be so maligned, and an obvious liar and charlatan like Johnson becomes Prime Minister. 

Think you'll find that Jeremy didn't win because Tory voters backed Boris. 

Jeremy didn't win because Tory AND Labour voters didn't believe in him, didn't trust AND they backed Boris. 

Nothing wrong with the system, (it's always the system or someone else's fault), it's the one we decided to keep in a democratic vote on around a decade ago. 

Edited by Baron99

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Nothing wrong with the system, (it's always the system or someone else's fault), it's the one we decided to keep in a democratic vote on around a decade ago. 

The UK is unique among European countries in terms of its electoral system – and not in a good way. It’s the only country with a parliamentary system that uses the outdated, one-person-takes-all First Past the Post system.

The Alternative Vote (AV) is a relatively unusual electoral system, today used only in Australia, and, in a modified form, in one of Australias island called Nauru.

The AV vote was a stitch up by David Cameron.

I can see this used to be a very active thread, and it seems quite telling that no-one has anything to say about the Labour Party anymore. I could have a go: there is a political party and it's called Labour. That appears to be the sum total of what there is to say though.

13 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I can see this used to be a very active thread, and it seems quite telling that no-one has anything to say about the Labour Party anymore. I could have a go: there is a political party and it's called Labour. That appears to be the sum total of what there is to say though.

A party with no beliefs and no policies, that they are willing to talk about and simply claim that they want to make the poor better off without explaining how they will do that and who is going to pay.

As they still believe in privatisation and all the policies which Blair & Brown followed, there is no point voting for them because they just took Margaret Thatchers policies when they got into power.

Leaves people wondering about the difference in their policies and the Tories. One thing to be sure of (because they told everyone not to talk about it) is that they want to get much closer to Europe again, whatever the cost.

35 minutes ago, Delbow said:

When the Tories have a stonking majority at Westminster, it makes the opposion redundant. Does it matter what the opposition says? The only show in town is Boris.

Boris got a massive majority because of Brexit, not because he is great or Corbyn was poor. The country needs a better electoral system, which is why we need to elect Labour at the next election.

11 minutes ago, El Cid said:

When the Tories have a stonking majority at Westminster, it makes the opposion redundant. Does it matter what the opposition says? The only show in town is Boris.

Boris got a massive majority because of Brexit, not because he is great or Corbyn was poor. The country needs a better electoral system, which is why we need to elect Labour at the next election.

That makes a great deal of sense -not.

11 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I'm not aware that they are offering a different electoral system, is that something they're seriously suggesting?

5 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I'm not aware that they are offering a different electoral system, is that something they're seriously suggesting?

Media reports about it being concidered, they dont tend to announce policies untill the election is just around the corner.

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/keir-starmer-weve-got-to-address-the-fact-that-millions-of-people-vote-in-safe-seats-and-they-feel-their-voice-doesnt-count/

Edited by El Cid

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

Despite the Tory majority, it does matter what Labour says,  if only to show whether they are worth of our vote at the next election.

This doesn't mean that they can simply rubbish everything that Boris does (which is what's happening now) but they must explain their alternative policy so that we can compare.

If they don't have an alternative policy to any they oppose, they will not be worthy of our votes.

Edited by Organgrinder

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Media reports about it being concidered, they dont tend to announce policies untill the election is just around the corner.

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/keir-starmer-weve-got-to-address-the-fact-that-millions-of-people-vote-in-safe-seats-and-they-feel-their-voice-doesnt-count/

12 months is a long time in politics - do they still think the same?

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

If Starmer wins the next election, he will stand at the lectern and declare that "democracy has spoken".