48 Hour Twitter Boycott?

22 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

Twitter seems to have taken a very soft approach to Wiley and his tweets; very slow to temporarily ban his account, only some of the tweets are hidden and others are still available. He'll be back posting in a short time, if he isn't already. 

Would be interesting to create an account and copy and paste his offensive tweets and replace the anti semitism with another racist trope against a different culture and see if it gets the same treatment.

It the account has the numbers, I'd suggest it wouldn't matter. How long did Hopkins have?

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

It the account has the numbers, I'd suggest it wouldn't matter. How long did Hopkins have?

No idea really, not actually having followed either. Last thing I heard she was banned for life, which is a silly statement to make; more like banned from being verified for life.  I'm not defending Hopkins but as far as I knew what she tweeted wasn't any different to what she said on the numerous mid morning TV shows she appeared on - Wiley has taken it to the next level.

Referencing the Wiley comments on Twitter, broadcaster, Jeremy Vine came up with a different take on the issue of abusive posts. 

He said that while such abusive comments should be removed from the main Twitter pages, they should be put into something like a Twitter archive.  That way an individual can never deny what they have posted, they can suffer the indignaty of being reminded about what they posed & hopefully understand the retribution they are receiving for a long time. 

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Referencing the Wiley comments on Twitter, broadcaster, Jeremy Vine came up with a different take on the issue of abusive posts. 

He said that while such abusive comments should be removed from the main Twitter pages, they should be put into something like a Twitter archive.  That way an individual can never deny what they have posted, they can suffer the indignaty of being reminded about what they posed & hopefully understand the retribution they are receiving for a long time. 

I’m not such a fan of that sort of thing. People do change over time and to have your every thought recorded forever is a bit  of a stretch for me. I’d certainly hate to have my half arsed posts on here hurled back at me every time someone wanted to challenge me😀 

If you can get hold of a copy of Jon Ronson’s excellent “So you’ve been publicly shamed”, you could read a little more about this from a different perspective. It is a very interesting book.

10 hours ago, Pettytom said:

I’m not such a fan of that sort of thing. People do change over time and to have your every thought recorded forever is a bit  of a stretch for me.

Same. It’s a real bad idea. It could even inhibit positive change for the better within the offending individual.

“why bother changing my ways if the world is going to forever remind me of my past erroneous ways?”