Signal Crayfish Trapping

Hello all,

To begin I'm aware this subject was discussed at length on here some years ago but I am reposting just encase anything has changes e.g crayfish populations or legislation. I am looking to catch and cook some signal crayfish  and before I go out and buy UK legal traps and apply to the EA for permission I have  few questions namely:

a) Does the EA allow signal crayfish trapping in the Sheffield area?

b) Are there any bodies of water around Sheffield that have a great deal of the invasive signal crayfish AND I could feasibly get permission to fish them from? 

If you have any insight it would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks!

I have seen people doing it at  the dam just up from the Rivelin fire station, there are plenty be in there, absolutely no idea on the legality of it. 

There is also an argument that trapping makes the problem worse as it removes the large adults who normally prey on the younger ones and help keep the numbers down at least a bit.

9 hours ago, jgalbraith said:

b) Are there any bodies of water around Sheffield that have a great deal 

If you have any insight it would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks!

Yes, canal at Bacon Lane bridge. Thousands. People have been catching them to sell to restaurants and for their own use. Not sure of the legality. I do know if you catch one you are not allowed to put it back. 

When applying for your licence to trap crays ask the EA about any permissions you may need.