Meersbrook Flat Vs House Elsewhere

Hi, 

So I recently placed an offer on a two bedroom flat in Meersbrook - it is a house that's been split in two basically. I was all prepared to buy but the survey came back saying it will probably need re roofing and areas of open jointed masonry. The price is £105,000  so I feel that is pretty good for that area - it isn't huge but I'm only young and it wouldn't be forever, my idea would be to do it up a lot and then sell on for a bit more/rent out.  

On the survey it estimates costs of around 15k which I do not have. 

Just curious as to what people here think I should do?  None of my family know Sheffield and I only moved here for Uni so only really know the city centre. 

I could wait and keep looking for a house maybe in a different area, my deposit at the moment is 15k but I'm in a position where I can put at least a grand/ a little more away a month depending on overtime.

Thanks for the replies in advance :)

Normally the roof of a flat is the joint responsibility of the owners or the management company if there is one.  Find out what the position is and the attitude of the other owners/management company to the issue.  Best case scenario is Management company willing to do it from reserves.  Worst case, no-one is prepared to chip in.  Also, if you are doing it up you will need Management Company’s permission to make any changes.  Check the lease.

23 hours ago, KanarieBlack said:

and then sell on for a bit more/rent out

If you intend to let-out the flat, be sure to read and understand the lease (in case it prohibits/limits your ability to do that).