Is It Worth Repairing A 5 Year Old Budget Laptop

I have a 5 year old HP laptop, budget one, cost £299 5 years ago., it works ok but one letter on the keyboard does not work any more. The key has come loose, and even pressing the underneath area does not produce anything on screen. Is this a new keyboard repair and is it worth it on an older machine?

The techy type guys will want info on the processor ram etc I would think 🤙

28 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

The techy type guys will want info on the processor ram etc I would think 🤙

intel core 1.8 ghz  i3 CPU, 8GB ram, 1 TB hard drive. Nothing special, an HP Pavilion

if it needs a new keyboard I am thinking not worth the repair, but maybe I am wrong?

Edited by goldenfleece

Get a price on a new keyboard and go from there. They are usually quite cheap and in most cases, you can fit it yourself. It may be 5 years old but if it still does what you want, fix it...if the price of the parts are OK

EDIT: Use the laptop part number from the sticker on the bottom and put it into eBay, see what comes back under the parts section.

Edited by zach

40 minutes ago, zach said:

EDIT: Use the laptop part number from the sticker on the bottom and put it into eBay, see what comes back under the parts section.

Definitely that... I got a brand new one on ebay for less than £10 and fitted it myself. Also have a look on youtube as there are some videos on there on how to replace them, HP also have service manuals on how to take one apart.

hmmm, does it mean taking the whole laptop to bits? What does fitting a keyboard entail, is it very plug and play sort of thing or involve soldering?

its model 15-n224sa

the link here looks exactly the same keyboard but I do wonder how easy it is to do,

dont want to break the whole machine

1 hour ago, goldenfleece said:

its model 15-n224sa

the link here looks exactly the same keyboard but I do wonder how easy it is to do,

I'm guessing it's virtually identical to the model in the link below. It looks like a relatively straightforward swap so certainly worth a try.  If you've never tackled something like this before then there can be a knack and care needed unclipping the connector for the ribbon cable. 

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Pavilion+15-n232nr+Keyboard+Replacement/122398

I may have a key board from a hp pavillion

Just checked it up Lenovo keyboard.

Edited by speleo1
added info

5 hours ago, goldenfleece said:

hmmm, does it mean taking the whole laptop to bits? What does fitting a keyboard entail, is it very plug and play sort of thing or involve soldering?

its model 15-n224sa

Usually not, some are just clips you push back to release the keyboard, then do the ribbon cable, others may have a couple of screws etc.

There's not much chance you'll break the whole thing, if any at all. As above, the cable is usually the bit that causes issues. Have a quick look at a video of it being done as the clips can open different ways. I have fitted many but not on the laptop you have so youtube will be your best bet. Looking at the keyboard in the link, it could be just clips at the top to release it, then feed the new one in bottom first after connecting the cable and gently press down so the clips click back over the top. Youtube will show it much better than I can explain it. For just over a tenner it has to be worth a go.

It's usually a job that only requires a bit of common sense and patience. Remove the mains and battery before you start (just to be on the safe side)

Keyboards usually come off with one or two screws on the bottom (some times under the expansion bay door) - and some times they have a couple of clips on the top side in the top corners (near Escape / F1 and at the opposite corner)

They usually cost between £15-25 for laptop keyboards (Unless it's some fancy mechanical RGB thing, which it wont be on the Pavillion) - usually takes about 10-15 mins to replace....

I'd say for the spec, and the cost of a keyboard, it's worth replacing the keyboard!

EDIT:

Price checked after I saw you posted the model number... Keyboard is £12.49 on amazon, and looking at it there are two screws for it on the bottom  (they usually have a keyboard-looking image next to/near them any way) - and potentially clips across the top as I said above..

Just ordered a keyboard. Hopefully it will be fine. It does appear to be a simple job without dismantling involved, just lifting off the keyboard and the ribbon connector.