Washing Powder Advice!

I'm fed up of hearing Mrs.RR complaining about the state of clothing coming out of the machine!

Is there really no washing powder advert that actually tells the truth?!

She's tried a range of big names over the years, and on "tough stains" - advertising jargon, there! - she's used Vanish in various forms....but the results are always a bit iffy.

We've all seen the rubbish about pure white t-shirts following a cross-country run - does anyone actually achieve as good a result?!

Try an overnight soak before washing, or the pre-wash option on many machines.  Also, if using Vanish (or similar), give it a few minutes to soak into the garment(s) before putting it in the washer with the detergent.

You can’t beat the old brands, Tide, Oxydol, Rinso, Daz. I was an Omo man but had a successful course of aversion therapy.

15 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

You can’t beat the old brands, Tide, Oxydol, Rinso, Daz. I was an Omo man but had a successful course of aversion therapy.

Ha!

Do you know you can still buy Omo in a few outlets?!

I saw a box in some shop-or-other last year.

Imports, I guess, along the same lines of Ecuadorian Nescafe...

To be honest there is not much difference in performance of the top brands compared to supermarket own brands and the advertising is just a trick. First its powder, then Bio powder then Gel and now tabs and all just designed to sell the product in a more expensive form. Try reading the Which Magazine tests on powders, gels and tabs and you will see what I mean, try a £1 test subscription unless you can still get them in Libraries.

But... Powders normally out perform Gels and also Tabs and some of the best buy bio powders are Lidl and Sainsburys own brands.

For white shirts etc put a scoop of soda crystals in its about 80p a kilo from places like Home Bargains.

13 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Try an overnight soak before washing, or the pre-wash option on many machines.  Also, if using Vanish (or similar), give it a few minutes to soak into the garment(s) before putting it in the washer with the detergent.

This is a good idea-I do it mysellf sometimes. The way I do it though is to set the machine going as normal for about one and a half mintute. Then switch it off and go to bed. Get up next morning and switch back on. The machine continues with the program from where it was the night before  without doing anything else.

As for white shirts, I usually put some Ace (mild bleach) along the collars and under the arm areas-they come out perfect.

14 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

I'm fed up of hearing Mrs.RR complaining about the state of clothing coming out of the machine!

Is there really no washing powder advert that actually tells the truth?!

She's tried a range of big names over the years, and on "tough stains" - advertising jargon, there! - she's used Vanish in various forms....but the results are always a bit iffy.

We've all seen the rubbish about pure white t-shirts following a cross-country run - does anyone actually achieve as good a result?!

The advert with a mob doing an assault course in white t shirts, they get caked in mud etc but when they remove them for the washing test, the shirts underneath haven’t a speck of mud on them, this is just impossible. if you can ask your mum or gran, they know how to get clothes clean.

Edited by lazarus

6 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

For white shirts etc put a scoop of soda crystals in its about 80p a kilo from places like Home Bargains.

:thumbsup: And wash them on their own to keep them white.

Buy her a scrubbing board and google on how to use one.

Or ask her granny for advice.

I always hand treat heavily soiled or stained clothes with old fashioned green soap and a nail brush and

wash whites separately at 60 or 90 degrees. Miss dolly blue for the final rinse for the ultimate white 

I have a pretty decent spec Whirlpool machine.  I tried the first "heavy stain" wash last week, with no extra treatments, just my usual Aerial Gel.

The results were remarkable.

Maybe you need a more efficient machine?