Fa Cup Replays Scrapped To Ease Premier League Fixture Chaos Next Season

Well what a surprise, it just shows everything in English football revolves around the PL. The smaller clubs look forward to a good cup draw and hope that they can get a replay and get a good pay day but not next season, no replays just to ease the PL fixtures. Am I being cynical in thinking that they will keep it after next season after all they scrapped them in the League Cup. They are talking about an £18m salary cap in the Championship, £2.5m in League one and £1.5m in League 2. I haven't seen anything about them capping the PL where there are players reportedly on £400,000 a week.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fa-cup-replays-scrapped-ease-22411680

Edited by iansheff

Depending on how covid19 pans out in the next 3 months I'm not sure if league 1 and 2 will exist in their current form.

but the salary cap would be hard to sort,what about parachute payments?,teams where players dont want to leave as it may lower there wages,so that could mean up to 9 clubs on big wages ,how can others win?,sounds bad for many other clubs,take a normal club,it plays above its  potential then goes up,it will be hard to engage nearly a full team to stay up in my opinion or they spend and come down with top players ,its a mess

19 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Depending on how covid19 pans out in the next 3 months I'm not sure if league 1 and 2 will exist in their current form.

I'm wondering if reverting to the old North and South divisions might be better for the lower league clubs now? At least for a season or two till they can get the crowds back. It's the travelling expenses I'm thinking of.

On 25/07/2020 at 14:43, wearysmith said:

I'm wondering if reverting to the old North and South divisions might be better for the lower league clubs now? At least for a season or two till they can get the crowds back. It's the travelling expenses I'm thinking of.

A fair point, I’m thinking cost of hotels rather than fuel for the bus. But it’s wages, not just the playing staff - who will be earning less in a year than sterling earns in a day (I’m not knocking him btw!) but it’s groundsmen, hospitality staff, coaches, security etc etc they all want paying. But they can’t take any gate receipts, they can’t realistically use their function suites (some are bigger than others - gillinghams is huge).  Given what’s happening in Spain, there’s a clear indication covid19 can cause things to close at very short notice that were open. A lot of clubs were already on a cliff edge.

On 24/07/2020 at 19:19, tinfoilhat said:

I think a gauge of things to come across football as a whole, at least in the first few months of the new season, could be seen by the allowed attendance at the first cricket match today at the Oval. 

Oval's capacity is 25,500 but due to social distancing, only 1,000 fans were allowed in.   Even in the lower leagues,  reduced capacities of paying fans, aren't going to keep the clubs going. 

At the Premiership & Championship level, think we'll be watching most of the games in 2020 at least, still on tv because if you have to keep social distancing, how are the clubs going to decide which fans are allowed in the ground?  Those with the smaller crowds might get away by spreading their fans on all 4 sides of a ground by stopping away supporters perhaps? 

On 26/07/2020 at 17:35, tinfoilhat said:

A fair point, I’m thinking cost of hotels rather than fuel for the bus. But it’s wages, not just the playing staff - who will be earning less in a year than sterling earns in a day (I’m not knocking him btw!) but it’s groundsmen, hospitality staff, coaches, security etc etc they all want paying. But they can’t take any gate receipts, they can’t realistically use their function suites (some are bigger than others - gillinghams is huge).  Given what’s happening in Spain, there’s a clear indication covid19 can cause things to close at very short notice that were open. A lot of clubs were already on a cliff edge.

Plus clubs like Chesterfield - with all the youth and development infrastructure (which they still retained despite being relegated). Lots of fixed (invisible) costs.