Revised On Street Parking Charges

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

So can you provide us with footfall figures to back up your contention?

Always looked to be plenty of people around on Sundays when I’ve visited and the council parking spaces were being well used.

You clearly haven’t visited the city centre on a Sunday and parked in a Council car park or parking space. If you had, you’d know that they charge a flat fee for the whole day, so people don’t actually have to “clock watch” at all.

As others have already mentioned, before the council started charging on Sundays, what used to happen was that the people who work in the city centre arrived first, so they filled the prime spots, meaning the shoppers had to look for spaces further away. Now it’s the other way around, if you want to park for free, you can do so outside the Central controlled parking zone. 

I can no more provide figures for footfall than you can provide figures for would be commuter cyclists wishing to use Shalesmoor.

Its just my opinion that there would be greater passing trade with no Sunday charges and I thought that you quite liked radical trials.

As I said previously I rarely go into the city for an extended period because it’s just hassle so it’s occasional necessary trips for me.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

I can no more provide figures for footfall than you can provide figures for would be commuter cyclists wishing to use Shalesmoor.

Its just my opinion that there would be greater passing trade with no Sunday charges and I thought that you quite liked radical trials.

As I said previously I rarely go into the city for an extended period because it’s just hassle so it’s occasional necessary trips for me.

So, when you said:

“Because the council should have noticed the lack of footfall enjoying the facilities on offer.”

you don’t actually know whether there is any lack of footfall on a Sunday.

Basically you’re just making up a problem in order to suggest free parking as being the answer.

We already know what happens when there are no charges, a situation that does not benefit shoppers and visitors. It doesn’t need a trial to know this, it’s how it was For many years before charging was introduced.

48 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

We already know what happens when there are no charges, a situation that does not benefit shoppers and visitors. It doesn’t need a trial to know this, it’s how it was For many years before charging was introduced.

So why are "free after 3pm" schemes and 2 hours free parking so successful?   

30 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Offers like these reduce peak demand and space taken up for parking -it does not solve the environmental issues.

Non commuter drivers are  happy as all they have  to do is to arrange their business differently and in return get free parking.

The Council are happy as there will be less peak demand for parking and reduce traffic congestion.

The commuters are happy as there are more spaces available in the morning.

So, when you said:

“Because the council should have noticed the lack of footfall enjoying the facilities on offer.”

you don’t actually know whether there is any lack of footfall on a Sunday.

Basically you’re just making up a problem in order to suggest free parking as being the answer.

There is a lack of footfall full stop.

Whether this be Sunday or the rest of the week.

I am not making up a problem ,businesses are on their uppers.

The problem exists already,because of the proliferation of out of town shopping,with free parking,the growth of online shopping and now because of the pandemic.

However you continue to wear your blinkers based on a grand master plan requiring inward investment that is fast receding.

As far as your last paragraph is concerned you are really saying that adequate and free or reasoned parking charges do not benefit shoppers,visitors,workers.

Really.

Another instance of the public being told what is good for them.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Are they?

Can you produce any figures which confirm that?

Edited by Planner1

Are they?

Can you produce any figures which confirm that?

I think a straw poll would settle that argument .

2 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I think a straw poll would settle that argument .

Doesn’t give you hard facts to back up the opinions though.

Plenty of people say that these initiatives have been successful. Can’t think of any who have produced facts and figures to underpin the claim though..

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Doesn’t give you hard facts to back up the opinions though.

Plenty of people say that these initiatives have been successful. Can’t think of any who have produced facts and figures to underpin the claim though..

But if our civil servants and governments get public approval from their schemes that must be rather satisfying.

Not everything (or perhaps everything) can be proven with statistics.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

But if our civil servants and governments get public approval from their schemes that must be rather satisfying.

Not everything (or perhaps everything) can be proven with statistics.

If they give something away free and say it’s been successful, does anyone question it? Not in my experience. So why would they waste time effort and money on checking the answer to a question that hasn’t been asked, or they might not like the answer to.

54 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

If they give something away free and say it’s been successful, does anyone question it? Not in my experience. So why would they waste time effort and money on checking the answer to a question that hasn’t been asked, or they might not like the answer to.

I would hope that they are the ones that are asking the pertinent questions of themselves and hopefully forestalling the public questioning.

One would hope that there was some evidence that offering free parking after 15.00 was successful otherwise the council would be guilty of basically reducing much needed revenue that could be spent on............................................... new cycle lanes?

could be as simple as loss of revenue is less than the cost of employing the wardens to enforce