Revised On Street Parking Charges

12 minutes ago, Be My Bubble said:

I don't drive into city centres because they are complicated with fines for being in the wrong lane, inappropriate  signage, too fast, have cramped parking areas,  tight manoeuvring around obstacles and varied inconsistent restrictions. Get around those and i would be happy to use the City centre again.

Alternatively, go on a driving refresher course where the skills required to navigate city centres can be taught.

On 03/08/2020 at 09:26, Annie Bynnol said:

Why should I and  others who who don't drive into the centre sponsor the car driving habits of others, when there are alternatives?

Annie you miss out a key word "viable"  which must embrace the purpose of the trip

And yes I would go into the center for just the one thing or indeed to an out of town location -

On 03/08/2020 at 09:26, Annie Bynnol said:

1 hour ago, max said:

Alternatively, go on a driving refresher course where the skills required to navigate city centres can be taught.

It should not be necessary and it is a sad indictment of city center signage, and layout if it were.

2 hours ago, Be My Bubble said:

I don't drive into city centres because they are complicated with fines for being in the wrong lane, inappropriate  signage, too fast, have cramped parking areas,  tight manoeuvring around obstacles and varied inconsistent restrictions. Get around those and i would be happy to use the City centre again

Before you go to Meadowhall you need to be aware that around Meadowhall there are very tight turns, junctions roundabouts and numerous lane changes, multiple traffic lights in short succession, through traffic including coach and a high proportion of HGV vehicles and dozens of side roads. A driver will need to differentiate between motorway, national, regional, local, cycle and pedestrian direction signs. Height, weight and width restrictions. Variable speed limits. Non standard signage provided by Meadowhall.

When you enter Meadowhall be prepared for tight turns, confusing and counter-intuitive signage and non standard homemade markings, ramps, road access, reversing vehicles, challenging light conditions, groups of adults and children, shopping trolleys etc. 

Practicing in the City centre would prepare you for some of the driving conditions you will experience at Meadowhall,

3 hours ago, Be My Bubble said:

I don't drive into city centres because they are complicated with fines for being in the wrong lane, inappropriate  signage, too fast, have cramped parking areas,  tight manoeuvring around obstacles and varied inconsistent restrictions. Get around those and i would be happy to use the City centre again.

Please hand in your driving licence. You clearly are not competent to be driving a vehicle if you cannot negotiate the very simple traffic system in Sheffield city centre.

And what ever you do, don't be tempted to drive across London or Leeds.

Back on topic now please 

Thank you.

Edited by nikki-red

I can usually find a spot just outside of the center and walk in, not had to pay for a while. I still think it should be free Sundays though.

32 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

I still think it should be free Sundays though.

Why?

It's a business day like any other. The private sector charge for parking 24/7, why shouldn't the council?

58 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Why?

It's a business day like any other. The private sector charge for parking 24/7, why shouldn't the council?

Because the council should have noticed the lack of footfall enjoying the facilities on offer.

It would be interesting in the interests of struggling businesses to have a trial period where people can meander at their leisure without clock watching.

Well worth a trial period.

How much will it cost the people of Sheffield to  compensate the commercial car parks for unfair business practice?

Will the lack of investment in commercial car parks leave us with acres of underused, tatty ,temporary, gravel squares in the middle of our City?

It is time to leave car parking to people who do car parks and create open public amenities -albeit temporary-out of the eyesores that are our current SCC car parks.

13 hours ago, RJRB said:

Because the council should have noticed the lack of footfall enjoying the facilities on offer.

It would be interesting in the interests of struggling businesses to have a trial period where people can meander at their leisure without clock watching.

Well worth a trial period.

So can you provide us with footfall figures to back up your contention?

Always looked to be plenty of people around on Sundays when I’ve visited and the council parking spaces were being well used.

You clearly haven’t visited the city centre on a Sunday and parked in a Council car park or parking space. If you had, you’d know that they charge a flat fee for the whole day, so people don’t actually have to “clock watch” at all.

As others have already mentioned, before the council started charging on Sundays, what used to happen was that the people who work in the city centre arrived first, so they filled the prime spots, meaning the shoppers had to look for spaces further away. Now it’s the other way around, if you want to park for free, you can do so outside the Central controlled parking zone. 

Edited by Planner1

9 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

How much will it cost the people of Sheffield to  compensate the commercial car parks for unfair business practice?

Will the lack of investment in commercial car parks leave us with acres of underused, tatty ,temporary, gravel squares in the middle of our City?

It is time to leave car parking to people who do car parks and create open public amenities -albeit temporary-out of the eyesores that are our current SCC car parks.

The council have no powers to make commercial car park operators give free parking.

When council parking was free on Sundays and in the evenings, the private sector always charged 24/7. 

The council’s surface level car parks are all potential development sites. The council will sell them if the right offer comes in.