Revised On Street Parking Charges

5 hours ago, casualbystander said:

you have clearly never had a business in the city centre?? i have and sold it just in time thank goodness SCC does nothing to help small business and parking charges are just a cash cow for them as they know some are forced to use them.

It’s the same everywhere though. All local authorities charge in any settlement or shopping area of any note. Parking space is a commodity and can be used as a tool of policy. 

Actually the council work closely with the Business Improvement District in the city centre. City centre based businesses tend to understand that there will be parking charges and don’t have a problem with it.

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

It’s the same everywhere though. All local authorities charge in any settlement or shopping area of any note. Parking space is a commodity and can be used as a tool of policy. 

Actually the council work closely with the Business Improvement District in the city centre. City centre based businesses tend to understand that there will be parking charges and don’t have a problem with it.

yes it is the same everywhere but that is why the high st is dying and the centres of all cities will soon be charity shops and coffee bars if you are lucky. we all know there has to be some sort of charge but it needs to be nominal outside peak times.

1 hour ago, casualbystander said:

yes it is the same everywhere but that is why the high st is dying and the centres of all cities will soon be charity shops and coffee bars if you are lucky. we all know there has to be some sort of charge but it needs to be nominal outside peak times.

Why do you think parking is an issue? See my reply further back, the spaces available are usually full which implies that price is not the issue.

4 hours ago, casualbystander said:

So the high street is dying because of parking charges? Really?

Nothing to do with changing shopping habits, out of town shopping centres, internet shopping?

4 hours ago, casualbystander said:

If this were the case surely it would be much easier to get a parking space than it is?

On the odd occasion I’ve driven into town I’ve really struggled to get a central space, the cost is clearly not putting that many people off.

12 hours ago, Planner1 said:

So the high street is dying because of parking charges? Really?

Nothing to do with changing shopping habits, out of town shopping centres, internet shopping?

meadowhall and Crystal peaks have been open for some 30 odd years I believe so any increased usage of them may well be  as a result of the city center being an unattractive place to shop these days of which parking would certainly be a contributor

Guest busdriver1
11 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

meadowhall and Crystal peaks have been open for some 30 odd years I believe so any increased usage of them may well be  as a result of the city center being an unattractive place to shop these days of which parking would certainly be a contributor

Parking, crazy traffic schemes and general decline all play a part.

3 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

If parking is a factor then it must be lack of spaces that is the issue as most spaces are full most of the time. Perhaps you think more buildings should be pulled down to allow more parking spaces, which retail spaces do you think should be sacrificed?

17 minutes ago, max said:

If parking is a factor then it must be lack of spaces that is the issue as most spaces are full most of the time. Perhaps you think more buildings should be pulled down to allow more parking spaces, which retail spaces do you think should be sacrificed?

I don’t think that overall there’s a lack of parking. If anything, there’s too much.

I’m presuming you’re talking about council parking spaces, because the multi storey (private sector) ones are not full.

5 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

City centre an unattractive place to shop?

Have you been there lately?

The Moor is looking good, redevelopment happening in Pinstone St area. High quality public spaces.

Unattractive? Really?

5 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Parking, crazy traffic schemes and general decline all play a part.

Utter nonsense.

Parking is nothing to do with it.

What crazy traffic schemes? Same traffic management measures here as every town and city of any size.

Decline? Not noticed the redevelopment that’s been happening and is still happening? Not seen the high quality public spaces?

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/sheffieldplan

Not so much an actual plan as a broad statement of intent taking us up to 2038.

I hope that there is some major investment to revitalise commerce in the city but business confidence and property development is at a low ebb.

We really needed John Lewis to give a focus in retail.Incidentally I have yet find a sensible route into their car park which is usually my first choice.

There have been some improvement in amenities and open spaces but where is the grand coordinated plan.

To say that parking has nothing to do with it is so very dismissive of what is an issue when shopping,eating out or theatre and cinema going.

17 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

Sheffield was never been an attractive place to shop - neither was any other industrial city.

The major attractor was that it did have more departmental stores than any city in England excluding London so you could avoid the dreary, dirty, clogged up streets.  The relatively high pay that steelworkers, engineering, metalworking and coal enjoyed enabled this.

The economic decline was catastrophic to retail as well. 

Any attempt to clean up, unclog and clear the streets  which led to the dreadful traffic jams, dirt and pollution was/ is opposed by those that have a  belief that 'you' had more right to park outside the place you wanted to go than anybody else.

Neither out of town Malls or City Centres are doing well but the City is in a far better position to adapt to change.

For the first time in a generation the City Centre population is growing fast because of the demand being met by change of use and re- generation allowing for a much more appealing surroundings. City Centre living  does not mean you have to have a car and therefore increases foot fall. The increase and change in office use means an increased foot fall in the Centre.

To survive the owners of a Mall requires sales. Sales in Malls are dwindling away and this is being seen in shop closures, refusal or delays in rent being paid  by the retailers in the mall. Empty shops and the withdrawal of big names will accelerate. 

The City Centre has contracted, is being rebuilt and will offer space for independents and smaller "named" brands  shops mainly operating as windows  for online purchasing.  This new branding of the City  is ongoing and fits in well with new attitude of how people want to live, which includes avoiding the injurious effects of cars and buses. 

Covid, City Centre living,  and the internet are changing every aspect of our lives in this City, providing an attractive environment in which to live and spend time and money is a way forward and create clear blue water between the Mall and the City experience.