Revised On Street Parking Charges

Guest busdriver1
4 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

None of course but that’s not to say it doesn’t happen.

Has this actually happened to you?

I would not think of Sheffield as being unsafe.

Yes it has happened to me and the solution by the powers that be was to rehouse ME,  the perpetrators got nothing. THAT makes me think of Sheffield as unsafe and the response by the powers that be confirmed that, as they dealt with it as a very matter of fact everyday occurrence.

Edited by busdriver1

1 hour ago, Litotes said:

Not what the council claim - they claim it is to support the retailers

“Through our free parking initiative we hope to support Sheffield’s retailers in making the city centre a great place for families to visit during this magical festive period.”

You aren't suggesting that the SCC are lying are you?

So you haven't seen any announcement - seems like it was yet another piece of bad news flown in under the radar during lockdown - SCC stay true to their colours.

Well of course they will put a positive spin on it. Sounds better than “ We’re making the same meaningless political gesture we make every year so we don’t get slagged off for not doing it”.

What do you expect? It’s politics.

On 24/07/2020 at 13:03, Planner1 said:

£2.60 per hour when I parked today in central zone. Still compares favourably with Leeds at equivalent of £3.30/hr or Manchester at £3/hr.

Do we really think  anyone who is coming to town to spend a reasonable amount of money is going to be put of by paying a few pence extra to park?

What kind of deluded world must people live in if their justification for the price hike in Sheffield is that it still compares favourably to Manchester or Leeds. I've worked & shopped in the latter two for many years and now work in Sheffield. Let me tell you that comparison is so ridiculous it's untrue.

Sheffield city centre is dying and dying fast. The council needs to breathe life into it and the one way NOT to do that is to almost double parking prices! I used to go occasionally, now i won't bother.  Not paying those extortionate prices just to visit one or two decent shops.

i thought extending the paid parking hours to 20.30 was the final nail in the coffin, but SCC have outdone themselves again.

1 hour ago, arrowhead said:

Sheffield city centre is dying and dying fast. The council needs to breathe life into it and the one way NOT to do that is to almost double parking prices!

A 30% increase is not “almost double”.

9 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Good to see some of us learnt maths at school

however a 30% increase is well above inflation

20 hours ago, Planner1 said:

if that's the only point you can argue against, great, I rest my case!

13 hours ago, arrowhead said:

if that's the only point you can argue against, great, I rest my case!

It's not the only point, but you don't help your argument at all by grossly exaggerating the scale of the increase.

Sheffield's prices are cheaper than Leeds and Manchester and that reflects that the place isn't as large or attractive and doesn't generate the same level of demand as those places.

The Council now controls only a small proportion of the parking in Sheffield city centre and the Council's prices compare  well to the ones charged by the private sector in the central area. They charge £3 to £4.50 per hour.

Most cities charge into the evening and the evening charges here are a flat rate of a£2 for the whole period from 4.30 to 8.30, which really isn't going to put off anyone coming in to spend money on an evening's entertainment. It also compares well to the charges in Leeds (£3.20 for the evening) or Manchester (£3/hr)  

simple fact is sheffield council dont want cars full stop, never have never will , they are seemingly happy to see the centre fail, why anyone want to get on filthy trams and buses i dont know check out other cities buses and trams they are a mile in front, anyone who want to shop and buy anything of any substance shopping etc why would you want to struggle on a tram? no you want to take your car and park reasonably and cheaply, these raised charges and evening charges will kill it.

7 minutes ago, casualbystander said:

simple fact is sheffield council dont want cars full stop, never have never will , they are seemingly happy to see the centre fail, why anyone want to get on filthy trams and buses i dont know check out other cities buses and trams they are a mile in front, anyone who want to shop and buy anything of any substance shopping etc why would you want to struggle on a tram? no you want to take your car and park reasonably and cheaply, these raised charges and evening charges will kill it.

Whereabouts would you want to park that you would be able to buy anything of substance and return easily to your car?

I find it difficult enough to park in the centre town anyway, not through the pricing but the fact that most spaces are taken.

Perhaps the fact that the spaces are full is an indication that it's not the prices that are preventing people parking in town but the lack of spaces. However, this doesn't seem to be the problem either as there are tens of thousands of places, mostly in the private sector.

So if it's not the prices, as there are seldom spaces indicating that many people are willing to pay,  nor the number of spaces because there are thousands available .

What is preventing people from coming to town to shop?

29 minutes ago, casualbystander said:

Simply not true.

If the Council didn't want cars they would ban them in the centre or price them off the road with a congestion charge. 

Remember also that the Council only control maybe a quarter of the public parking in the city centre, most of it is private sector provided and that proportion will increase over time as surface level car parks are built on and on street spaces are lost to redevelopment. The Council's parking charges have actually been quite low for a city of this size for many years and have effectively kept a check on private sector prices, which the operators would certainly like to see at a higher level. 

The problem is that every measure the Council introduce to deal with the detrimental effects of over-reliance on cars is labelled as "anti-car". No-one at the Council or anyone else thinks that we shouldn't be able to bring cars into the city centre, they would just prefer that more people came by other means such as public transport or walking and cycling. Of course those modes aren't suitable for everyone, for every trip, but for many, they are.

My experience of buses and trams here is different to yours. On routes I use the buses are quite new and are clean. The trams I've used are also clean. You have to remember that most of the trams are circa 20 years old and are in need of replacement, as is a lot of the supertram infrastructure. The city region  / PTE (who own the tram network) are bidding to the government for funds to do the necessary infrastructure renewal and bring in new trams.

The (very modest in my view) evening and Sunday charges have been in place for seven years. There's no sign of them "killing" the city centre yet.  At the time they were introduced, people said the same and they were wrong.

Edited by Planner1

18 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Simply not true.

If the Council didn't want cars they would ban them in the centre or price them off the road with a congestion charge. 

Remember also that the Council only control maybe a quarter of the public parking in the city centre, most of it is private sector provided and that proportion will increase over time as surface level car parks are built on and on street spaces are lost to redevelopment. The Council's parking charges have actually been quite low for a city of this size for many years and have effectively kept a check on private sector prices, which the operators would certainly like to see at a higher level. 

The problem is that every measure the Council introduce to deal with the detrimental effects of over-reliance on cars is labelled as "anti-car". No-one at the Council or anyone else thinks that we shouldn't be able to bring cars into the city centre, they would just prefer that more people came by other means such as public transport or walking and cycling. Of course those modes aren't suitable for everyone, for every trip, but for many, they are.

My experience of buses and trams here is different to yours. On routes I use the buses are quite new and are clean. The trams I've used are also clean. You have to remember that most of the trams are circa 20 years old and are in need of replacement, as is a lot of the supertram infrastructure. The city region  / PTE (who own the tram network) are bidding to the government for funds to do the necessary infrastructure renewal and bring in new trams.

The (very modest in my view) evening and Sunday charges have been in place for seven years. There's no sign of them "killing" the city centre yet.  At the time they were introduced, people said the same and they were wrong.

you have clearly never had a business in the city centre?? i have and sold it just in time thank goodness SCC does nothing to help small business and parking charges are just a cash cow for them as they know some are forced to use them.

I have to agree with Planner1 (where are planners 2-100 by the way?) that on the whole, with the exception of the Metros sometimes, the trams and buses are generally clean and as  customer see nowt wrong with the old trams - indeed prefer them to the tram train  may not agree with much else but on this yes