Revised On Street Parking Charges

Wow! Have they shot up or what?! Almost 6 quid for 2 hours parking around campo lane/west bar. suspect all council car parks have gone up too.

You'd think the last thing Sheffield city centre needed was another excuse for people not to go there.

Guest busdriver1
1 minute ago, arrowhead said:

You'd think the last thing Sheffield city centre needed was another excuse for people not to go there.

Mission accomplished on that score many months ago. Missing it NOT

7 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

Wow! Have they shot up or what?! Almost 6 quid for 2 hours parking around campo lane/west bar. suspect all council car parks have gone up too.

£2.60 per hour when I parked today in central zone. Still compares favourably with Leeds at equivalent of £3.30/hr or Manchester at £3/hr.

Do we really think  anyone who is coming to town to spend a reasonable amount of money is going to be put of by paying a few pence extra to park?

36 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

£2.60 per hour when I parked today in central zone. Still compares favourably with Leeds at equivalent of £3.30/hr or Manchester at £3/hr.

Do we really think  anyone who is coming to town to spend a reasonable amount of money is going to be put of by paying a few pence extra to park?

Or would more people come into town to support City centre shopping if the parking possibilities were more attractive.

If I need my car for the shopping I do not go to the center of Sheffield any more I drive elsewhere - it isn't just the £2.60 per hour it is that the machines often do not give change - a clever rip off and the need to estimate how long I will be to avoid the over zealous parking attendants - before anyone says use your mobile I am a Luddite

Yet again a greater than inflation increase by those thieves in the city council. How do they justify this increase?

And Sunday is now £2 - if they really are committed to supporting local businesses they should scrap the weekend charges and get people buying again - not driving them away.

And why they cannot pro rata the overpayment to extra minutes just highlights how deceitful they are.

44 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

If I need my car for the shopping I do not go to the center of Sheffield any more I drive elsewhere - it isn't just the £2.60 per hour it is that the machines often do not give change - a clever rip off and the need to estimate how long I will be to avoid the over zealous parking attendants - before anyone says use your mobile I am a Luddite

Its not a rip-off at all, its that there is no pay and display machine available which gives change.

If machines did give change it would be a major logistical operation for the Council to keep them stocked with the right change, which would add to costs and probably mean increased charges.

All Councils are pushing people towards cashless payments as it is cheaper for them. Using the app based system gives the driver the option to extend their paid-for parking without having to return to the vehicle, so advantages for both sides. 

Guest busdriver1
56 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Yet again a greater than inflation increase by those thieves in the city council. How do they justify this increase?

And Sunday is now £2 - if they really are committed to supporting local businesses they should scrap the weekend charges and get people buying again - not driving them away.

And why they cannot pro rata the overpayment to extra minutes just highlights how deceitful they are.

Rotherham offer free parking on Saturdays! There are also several free bays in car parks round the town centre for 2 hour stays Monday to Friday. But then again maybe Rotherham council want to support their businesses and community.

As a bonus, you dont get stuck in man made congestion for un used cycle lanes on the way there either.

THAT is win win.

Edited by busdriver1

44 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Because it's demand management. They'd rather you didn't come by car and price is a way of managing demand.

Studies like this one have shown that people who travel to the shops by more sustainable means actually spend more than those who drive, so it's to the advantage of the businesses to encourage more people to travel that way.

£2 for the whole day on Sunday is still cheap. Manchester charge £3 per hour, all day every day, Leeds charge up to £12 for the day on surface level car parks and £14 for the day in the multi storey.

If they didn't charge, it would be back to the old situation where the staff who work in the city centre would fill up the prime parking spots first.

Guest busdriver1
1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

Because it's demand management. They'd rather you didn't come by car and price is a way of managing demand.

Studies like this one have shown that people who travel to the shops by more sustainable means actually spend more than those who drive, so it's to the advantage of the businesses to encourage more people to travel that way.

£2 for the whole day on Sunday is still cheap. Manchester charge £3 per hour, all day every day, Leeds charge up to £12 for the day on surface level car parks and £14 for the day in the multi storey.

If they didn't charge, it would be back to the old situation where the staff who work in the city centre would fill up the prime parking spots first.

Comparing with Leeds and Manchester - places that have much more to offer is not a realistic comparison.

I happily pay the charge in Leeds as that offers more to me when I go there and I have yet to pay over £5 for the day. I sometimes use the excellent park and ride that is fast, frequent and fit for purpose and thats even cheaper.

3 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Rotherham offer free parking on Saturdays! There are also several free bays in car parks round the town centre for 2 hour stays Monday to Friday. But then again maybe Rotherham council want to support their businesses and community.

More likely because they have to, because it doesn't attract the same level of visitors.

Rotherham has less than half the population of Sheffield and has nothing like the same shops and business.

There's free short stay parking in Sheffield  on Earl Way near the Markets if I remember correctly and outside the city centre you can get up to half an hour free on any council pay and display spaces.

2 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Comparing with Leeds and Manchester - places that have much more to offer is not a realistic comparison.

I happily pay the charge in Leeds as that offers more to me when I go there and I have yet to pay over £5 for the day. I sometimes use the excellent park and ride that is fast, frequent and fit for purpose and thats even cheaper.

Certainly they can charge more because they attract more visitors, but they do charge a lot more than Sheffield, so it's a reasonable comparator

21 hours ago, RJRB said:

Or would more people come into town to support City centre shopping if the parking possibilities were more attractive.

I rather doubt it.  The attractiveness of a place is more about the "offer" in the city centre rather than the price of parking.

Guest busdriver1
7 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

More likely because they have to, because it doesn't attract the same level of visitors.

Rotherham has less than half the population of Sheffield and has nothing like the same shops and business.

There's free short stay parking in Sheffield  on Earl Way near the Markets if I remember correctly and outside the city centre you can get up to half an hour free on any council pay and display spaces.

half an hour outside the city - yeah really useful.

So Sheffield does not need to attract visitors then? Interesting. Rotherham Town centre was very busy yesterday when I went and as a bonus was safer than my experiences in Sheffield. No it does not get the same level of shoppers as Sheffield but as you say its a smaller town, and IT REALISES IT

By the way, I can get anything just about in Rotherham that I can in Sheffield and the rare item I cant get, I will go to Doncaster. Another friendly and safe town.

Edited by busdriver1