How Has This Person Got My Mobile Number .?

How has this person got my email address -  I got an email from someone who had made an appointment for me at my local surgery,  I recognized the name and it had 'Dr' in front of it,  the name rang a bell from the late 90s (?)

then I received another - didn't click on it, same person - nobody of that name at the surgery - have saved both emails though.

depends if it's legit or not

if legit, you may have told the nhs or another government organisation in the past

if not legit, it could be random spam, (be very careful clicking links or pdf attachments), or targeted using your known email address from a previously hacked organisation (there are loads of possibilities)

also, the from email address could be a red herring, hiding the real address it came from.

• Thanks 1

On 24/07/2020 at 08:37, pattricia said:

Just had a call at 8:32am from 020 7947 0242 . When I accepted the call it was an American accent pre recorded call saying she was from the Inland Revenue and then some other rubbish.

How has this person got my mobile number and where does this number originate from ?

it's a war dialler , just  dialing numbers until it finds a guilible sod  who  let's themselves be soacilly engineered 

2 minutes ago, NicolaJayne said:

it's a war dialler , just  dialing numbers until it finds a guilible sod  who  let's themselves be soacilly engineered 

As a gullible sod, what can I look forward to when I’m engineered?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NicolaJayne said:

Actually, it is an autodialler, and it yes,  'it' does 'wait' until someone picks up and then hopefully realises it is a pure scam, at which point, they cancel the call.  I wouldn't call it 'social engineering', more pure scamming.

BTW  - this topic is three years old and has already been answered.

Apologies, @NicolaJayne - it was @cressidawho dragged this out of the Ark.

Edited by RollingJ

On 24/07/2023 at 00:18, Jim Hardie said:

As a gullible sod, what can I look forward to when I’m engineered?

penury and all your scoial media contacts thinking you are a  gulible fool

13 hours ago, NicolaJayne said:

penury and all your scoial media contacts thinking you are a  gulible fool

What makes you think I have social media contacts?

13 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Because she does, and expects everyone to be the same? I don't have any, either.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

yet  here you are  using a  social interaction based media  format on t'interwebs ... 

Just now, NicolaJayne said:

yet  here you are  using a  social interaction based media  format on t'interwebs ... 

My (and many others) interpretation of the term 'social media' these days is platforms such as Twitter/Facebook/Reddit/TikTok - although I agree it is not strictly accurate.