How Has This Person Got My Mobile Number .?

Just had a call at 8:32am from 020 7947 0242 . When I accepted the call it was an American accent pre recorded call saying she was from the Inland Revenue and then some other rubbish.

How has this person got my mobile number and where does this number originate from ?

2 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Just had a call at 8:32am from 020 7947 0242 . When I accepted the call it was an American accent pre recorded call saying she was from the Inland Revenue and then some other rubbish.

How has this person got my mobile number and where does this number originate from ?

The same way they 'get' your landline number - autodialler which dials a list of numbers in sequence.

These callers are most likely based on the Indian sub-continent (or other 'poor' area) and use untraceable phones'

The usual advice applies - if you don't know the number are aren't expecting a call from an unusual number, ignore it.

14 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

The same way they 'get' your landline number - autodialler which dials a list of numbers in sequence.

These callers are most likely based on the Indian sub-continent (or other 'poor' area) and use untraceable phones'

The usual advice applies - if you don't know the number are aren't expecting a call from an unusual number, ignore it.

Thank you for your advice.

Also Patricia if you put your mobile number in any online order you’re number may well sold on.

3 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

Also Patricia if you put your mobile number in any online order you’re number may well sold on.

Thank you. I will be careful from now on.

17 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Report it to the  ICO,  https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/. Have you registered your phone number with the TPS?

A lot of people have received calls from this number on https://who-called.co.uk/Number/02079470242 in the last 24 hours.

@iansheffAs I pointed out in my original reply, this phishing/spam attempt will be from an untraceable number, possibly from overseas, and neither the ICO nor TPS registration will prevent it.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

@iansheffAs I pointed out in my original reply, this phishing/spam attempt will be from an untraceable number, possibly from overseas, and neither the ICO nor TPS registration will prevent it.

perhaps not but reporting to the ico will establish the true volume of the problem and may prompt some action to limit this activity though it would be quite hard to do anything useful. 

registering with the tps will stop calls from uk based callers which should be using their lists  which will reduce the amount  of unwanted calls anyway

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

perhaps not but reporting to the ico will establish the true volume of the problem and may prompt some action to limit this activity though it would be quite hard to do anything useful. 

registering with the tps will stop calls from uk based callers which should be using their lists  which will reduce the amount  of unwanted calls anyway

But there is nothing the ICO can do - they have no authority outside the UK.

The type of call received by the OP would require total international cooperation, and much as we would like it, it just isn't going to happen.

How many unwanted calls do you get from genuine UK businesses these days which are speculative marketing calls?

3 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

Not just sold on.  Look at all the companies that have been hacked over the past couple of years and had their customer information taken - Twitter and Garmin in the past few days alone.

The 15 biggest data breaches of the 21st century

https://www.csoonline.com/article/2130877/the-biggest-data-breaches-of-the-21st-century.html

Thanks guys. I’m taking note of everything you say.