Can Anyone Help Track Down This Hammer-Like Sound Ringing Across The City?

Greetings. I'm in Upperthorpe and many nights I've been hearing a distant, repeating bang carrying across the city, I think coming from east of here. It's often really late, past midnight (that may just be because other city noises are quieter then). Others have heard the same thing - this page describes it and has a link to a recording. There's speculation there that it might be a forge drop hammer or similar. That would make sense. It's not all the time - it's actually been a while since I've heard it. I also heard it during the day recently as I was walking down Upperthorpe, it was definitely east-ish.

But someone nearer to it must know. I'm really hoping to actually track down exactly where it's coming from and what's making the sound. Has anyone got an ideas / leads / knows what it is? (I'm presuming it must be much louder for someone closer to it!) Maybe it's not as far as I think, could be in Neepsend, not further out...?

Cheers all.

Its Forgemasters near the arena .

I can remember hearing that kind of noise before moving house at least ten years ago. I would have rather been asleep than trying to work it out!

In the forties and fifties the hammers of the steelworks could be heard all through the night as could the trains in the marshalling yards, all very comforting to a you lad back then.

The hammers are across the valley from us, strange as it may seem, we don't hear them.