Data Protection Act - Death/Funeral

Less than a month ago a cousin of mine died. I had seen him very often, I had visited his house around a year earlier, he had care workers looking after him, I believe he had prostate cancer

Before lockdown he went into a care home, I didnt know which one and could not visit anyway.

After I heard about his death, I and another relative contacted the council for information. They were not forthcoming.

We are not sure if he had close relative, but we think he may have a sister. I thought it was strange and wrong that the council would not release any information about him. If I can find that they are interpreting the data protection act wrongly, I will complain.

In whose interest where the council keeping his information secret?

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

Less than a month ago a cousin of mine died. I had seen him very often, I had visited his house around a year earlier, he had care workers looking after him, I believe he had prostate cancer

Before lockdown he went into a care home, I didnt know which one and could not visit anyway.

After I heard about his death, I and another relative contacted the council for information. They were not forthcoming.

We are not sure if he had close relative, but we think he may have a sister. I thought it was strange and wrong that the council would not release any information about him. If I can find that they are interpreting the data protection act wrongly, I will complain.

In whose interest where the council keeping his information secret?

Sorry to hear that.

However, if you aren't the next of kin or have power of attorney, no one has any obligation to tell you anything. This is to protect the privacy of the deceased.

Just shows how stupid modern law has become.

When the poor bloke is dead, he is not going to complain about lack of privacy is he?

What is more important, is that family of friends who care about him, get the information they need.

Anyone would think we are all members of the secret services instead of ordinary citizens trying to deal with our everyday lives.

28 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

When the poor bloke is dead, he is not going to complain about lack of privacy is he?

What is more important, is that family of friends who care about him, get the information they need.

Anyone would think we are all members of the secret services instead of ordinary citizens trying to deal with our everyday lives.

How do you know his last words weren't "don't tell people how I died?"

40 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

If those family and friends are close enough to the deceased they will already know sufficient information and be well aware as to the circumstances of his death and who to contact and who is next of kin was and how to find out information from appropriate relatives.

What a bolshie attitude you have to think that just because someone has deceased their business and personal circumstances can be handed out and discussed by anyone who happens to show an interest.  For all you know there may be a multitude of reasons why the deceased didn't want long-distance or extended members of the family knowing what was going off.  Maybe there's a reason why the next of kin didn't announce it till certain people or the wider populace.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

When my father passed away, me and my 2 sisters were next of kin. Both my sisters are married and have changed their surnames - they often had problems getting information from various places. I usually got passed whatever task needed doing and the same companies were, generally,  happy to deal with me as I had the same surname as my dad *shrugs*

I think it depends on the person you deal with to be honest. I suspect unless you are dealing with a dedicated bereavement person/team, you might encounter issues as a general worker might not have the required knowledge of dealing with these circumstances.

55 minutes ago, enntee said:

Simple first question .... what information were you requesting?

I tried to find out when the funeral would be held, they wouldnt even say when he died, just within the past month

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

What a bolshie attitude you have to think that just because someone has deceased their business and personal circumstances can be handed out and discussed by anyone who happens to show an interest.  For all you know there may be a multitude of reasons why the deceased didn't want long-distance or extended members of the family knowing what was going off.  Maybe there's a reason why the next of kin didn't announce it till certain people or the wider populace.  

Do you think they should keep the information secret for 70 years, like if you write a book? The census releases all our information after 100 years  :)

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

I tried to find out when the funeral would be held, they wouldnt even say when he died, just within the past month

Do you think they should keep the information secret for 70 years, like if you write a book? The census releases all our information after 100 years  :)

I don't want to be an arse, but if you talk to the council about a funeral of a relative and you don't know if they have a sister or not, or if they have any other reletives and you arent the next of kin, they are likely to be a bit guarded.

11 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I don't want to be an arse, but if you talk to the council about a funeral of a relative and you don't know if they have a sister or not, or if they have any other reletives and you arent the next of kin, they are likely to be a bit guarded.

I am not claiming to be his next of kin. I can tell you that they they used to have a Yorkshire Terrier when I was young, but I dont know anything about other family. He was a bit of a loner, as many are as they get older.

When I spoke to a neighbour, they werent aware he had any visitors.

Maybe the sister lived in another part of the country?

On death an executor (will) or administrator (no will or other reasons) takes on all responsibilities. 

Release of medical records is restricted by law

Records held by NHS and other public bodies are regarded as confidential even after death.

Administrators  requests will normally be refused unless there is a proven reason.

Ask them or instruct a solicitor.

Edited by Annie Bynnol