Book Question Full Story Or Book Of Many

Hi,

I am looking at doing some writing but wondered if people enjoyed the full story or a book of Short Stories?

What do you all find works best?

Just came across this after reading through the Sheffield Writers Group on here, which seems to have ground to a halt.

I think it depends what you mean by your questions.

If you mean do I enjoy long or short stories - both, depending on the author, and what I'm after at that time.  I certainly wouldn't embark on a complete book from a new author without good reason (good reviews, recommendations etc.).

What I have found useful are published books of short stories, especially when edited (and supposedly chosen) by a master of that genre.  That way, you have an idea what you are getting, and may well find an author you like, and may follow if they progress to full novels.

I thought that's what may be on this site, but apparently not.  I may look elsewhere on the web for free works from new authors, or buy 2nd hand compilations from Amazon that have decent ratings.

On 23/07/2020 at 08:52, jane91 said:

Hi,

I am looking at doing some writing but wondered if people enjoyed the full story or a book of Short Stories?

What do you all find works best?

Hello Jane,

The only thing I can say is - Do it.

People love reading almost anything. 

Are you aiming at a specific market? or just looking to achieving that book everybody is supposed to have inside them? 

Either way best of luck with the adventure, I'm sure you will enjoy the challenge. 

Personally I'll read anything, from the label of a bottle of HP sauce to more or less anything and everything. 

(did you know HP sauce was the 'Original' brown sauce and first made in 1899? (& that it is now made in the Netherlands rather than the UK?). 

Earlier on in the year, after a few false starts I finally decided to put pen to paper (well lap top) with the intentions of writing a 150 page paper back type thing. This has now monsterized itself into 400 pages plus. 

The end is in sight but the point is I've enjoyed every second of it and that's how it should be.

Will it ever get into print - I don't know, but Ive more or less done what I set out to do, so I'm happy with that.

Am I the best wrightist in the world - no, but Speel cheque helps - LOL 

On 21/08/2020 at 21:08, Thirsty Relic said:

Just came across this after reading through the Sheffield Writers Group on here, which seems to have ground to a halt.

I think it depends what you mean by your questions.

If you mean do I enjoy long or short stories - both, depending on the author, and what I'm after at that time.  I certainly wouldn't embark on a complete book from a new author without good reason (good reviews, recommendations etc.).

What I have found useful are published books of short stories, especially when edited (and supposedly chosen) by a master of that genre.  That way, you have an idea what you are getting, and may well find an author you like, and may follow if they progress to full novels.

I thought that's what may be on this site, but apparently not.  I may look elsewhere on the web for free works from new authors, or buy 2nd hand compilations from Amazon that have decent ratings.

Hello Thirsty.

I have always taken chances with books yes sometimes they are well known authors but finding that gem from some unknown or being enlightened on some subject you had no idea about has got to be worth the 20p or what ever you've paid at a car boot or charity shop hasn't it?  Why people buy something for £18, read it once and sell it for so little always intrigues (the Scottishness in me).

Personally I take recommendations with a pinch of salt much as film critics reviews.

Newspapers are always going to say 'this is the best book ever written' or 'yet another marvel' from whoever, or the worst of the worst comparing the authors work to some other well known, Written in the style of 'Steven King' or written in the style of 'Patricia Cornwell', always puts me off.

Fact or Fiction, 

Read well,

Keep safe.

Enjoy.