Rog Strix Motherboards

On 21/07/2020 at 18:38, Ghozer said:

Honestly, it wont restrict the air-flow....  2cm is plenty for the airflow of the GPU fans... Unless you're doing crypto mining on the thing i'm sure it'll be fine...

But for your own piece of mind, fair enough, it should still provide a workable solution :D

The good news, the card came was fitted in and did need the extension. The xonar has a metal backplate which meant the clearance between that and the GPU fans if fitted in the pcie slot was around 5mm so I had to use the extension. The bad news.... Its all now being returned as it kept locking up the PC when switching from headphones to speakers, couldn't even do a ctl,alt,delete to get to task manager. Looks like an external USB one after all :) but thanks for the input.

On 24/07/2020 at 15:23, egasso said:

As motherboard for Ryzen 2700 I could recommend the MSI Tomahawk series or Asrock Steel legend B450 (which I use myself paired with ryzen 5 3600x). Other motherboard lige gigabyte and asus had some issues known with overheating VRM's due to poor quality alloy heatsinks (hard to believe that asus cheaped out on that). I have built hundreds of gaming computers as well as worked for long time in now forgotten repair shop in sheffield called ehallam. You more than welcome to contact me if you need any advice or answer

#eggasso.

The board I have is fine as it goes and with a Ryzen 7 2700 in auto clocking mode it reached an incredible 5,985MHz on all cores with a maxed out temp of 50C playing Assassins Creed Odyssey for several hours. It's never crashed or locked up at all and I am reluctant to change it just to get better sound. 

Thanks anyway.

Edited by apelike

7 minutes ago, apelike said:

The good news, the card came was fitted in and did need the extension. The xonar has a metal backplate which meant the clearance between that and the GPU fans if fitted in the pcie slot was around 5mm so I had to use the extension. The bad news.... Its all now being returned as it kept locking up the PC when switching from headphones to speakers, couldn't even do a ctl,alt,delete to get to task manager. Looks like an external USB one after all :) but thanks for the input.

The 5mm would have still been fine....
and the Headphones locking up is a common thing and relatively easy to fix - but the exact sort of thing I was talking about when I said I had some issues when I had one... USB is the best way, as if you ever change PC's you know it's going to fit/work with it providing it has USB :D

22 hours ago, apelike said:

The board I have is fine as it goes and with a Ryzen 7 2700 in auto clocking mode it reached an incredible 5,985MHz on all cores with a maxed out temp of 50C playing Assassins Creed Odyssey for several hours. It's never crashed or locked up at all and I am reluctant to change it just to get better sound. 

There is NO WAY the processor reached those speeds.  Your software is reporting incorrectly.  The maximum speeds a 2700 is likely to reach is around 4.1Ghz all core.  Update to the latest verion of CPU-Z, CoreTemp or RyzenMaster software, they should report the correct speed.

2 minutes ago, cptwhite said:

There is NO WAY the processor reached those speeds.  Your software is reporting incorrectly.  The maximum speeds a 2700 is likely to reach is around 4.1Ghz all core.  Update to the latest verion of CPU-Z, CoreTemp or RyzenMaster software, they should report the correct speed.

You are probably correct that its a software bug but I've not been bothered to check it out. The screenshots I took of it was actually from CPU-Z's brother "Hardware Monitor" (latest version) as that gives min and max core speeds across all cores and the temps. I will have a go at the RyzenMaster as I have never used that. Not too bothered though as its just set to auto on the MB and I don't bother otherwise.