Rog Strix Motherboards

I am wanting another motherboard for an AMD Ryzen 2700 with a RTX 2070 and have seen an ASUS Rog Strix 450 F at £120. What I was wondering is if anyone here had got one and is it worth the extra ove a standard 450 motherboard.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F714FT7?pf_rd_r=0P8KN5VDTG80FYF8REHA&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

Any input appreciated.

Edited by apelike

The -F is likely the revision....

They may start with a ROG Strix B450 - then a new CPU and BIOS revision come out, then any new boards from the factory may be called B450-E or something....

There isn't a standard "ROG Strix B40" listed on the Asus site... - there is only the E, F, and I

the difference between them seems to be 450-I is ITX so not full size.
the B450-E Supports less RAM, and different configuration than the F, but the F has support for faster speed RAM than the E
the E also supports the "Athlon" series of CPU's, while the F doesn't seem to.
The E has WiFi and Bluetooth, the F does not.
The E supports addressable RGB, the F doesn't seem to.

Thanks Ghozer.

The problem I have is that I need some decent sound from it as I'm getting back into music production and this one has good reviews on its sound out. My current MB is an Asus prime B350M-A a micro ATX but I can't fit a dedicated sound card as the GFX card takes up too much space. If I can get a decent board with decent on board sound I may not need another dedicated sound card and this seems to be good in that respect as it has a good quality shielded sound chip and dacs.

Not bothered about wifi, memory or RGB etc. 

Honestly, no onboard audio is adequate for true music production...

If you just want to make some beats on fruity loops or play with Ableton, then yeah, but for any serious work you would be better looking at a dedicated DAC setup..

the chip on those boards (S1220A) is the same one on my current setup, and honestly it's noisy, has issues with the optical output, has a high noise-floor on the microphone and line-inputs, and a horrid hiss with 0db playback

And if you look into a proper DAC or sound card, then lots are external, and may suit your current setup :) 

Edited by Ghozer

Yeah to be honest I had thought that but had hoped that situation may have changed. My previous setup had a mAudio 24/96 pci ASIO card but became redundant as soon as pci did so maybe now an external USB is the way to go, been looking at some Behringer and Focusrite ones. 

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Ok, just been looking at doing this instead.

Get a right angle extender cable and an Asus Xonar AE internal sound card with headphone amp that seems to have good specs and also does ASIO. The PC midi tower case I have has 4 spare slots after the MB ends (mATX) so I could then fit a sound card in much lower down.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FB3KPZL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A10EGWLGS2DC0K&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072MSMPLQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

The cable should fit in the spare pcie slot without hardly restricting the fans on the GFX card then.

Any problem do you think?

Any Sound card from the past ~10 years supports ASIO, even if it doesn't there's Asio4all that ultimately makes any work with ASIO...

I had a Xonar card previously (Xonar DG) and while they are ok, there's lots of signal processing and such that goes on with the drivers, will take a while to disable everything... and Stability wasn't great, but that could have been cause it was an older (PCI) version...

Your idea 'should' work - providing you actually have space in your case as you said...

- but, which board do you currently have? as the PCIe next to the GPU may not work if there's a GPU plugged in (may use shared PCIe lanes) 

Edited by Ghozer

My current MB is an Asus prime B350M-A, a micro ATX which has a working pcie spare (checked that) with the other being completely covered by the graphics card so currently not using either. The spare is very close to the GFX card fans so if I put a card there it will restrict the airflow to them. I do have space in the case as its a Midi ATX and as the MB is micro ATX there are 4 case slots lower down from where the MB ends so it would fit.

I am using Asio4all now with the onboard sound but it's basically a wrapper and not true dedicated asio 2.2 drivers. Tried the realtek on board asio drivers but that just locked up the sound and didn't work.

looking at that board, you should be fine putting it straight into the lower-slot, without an extension cable etc...

It wont affect your GPU really tbh....

Edited by Ghozer

Unfortunately because the Graphics card takes up 2 slots it completely covers the pcie slot nearest to it and because the fans also point downwards the clearance between them and next pcie slot is probably around 2 cm so any card will restrict the airflow, hence the need for small extension cable. 

But.... I have now taken the plunge and ordered them so will let you know (or maybe hear) soon how it works out. ;)

Honestly, it wont restrict the air-flow....  2cm is plenty for the airflow of the GPU fans... Unless you're doing crypto mining on the thing i'm sure it'll be fine...

But for your own piece of mind, fair enough, it should still provide a workable solution :D

As motherboard for Ryzen 2700 I could recommend the MSI Tomahawk series or Asrock Steel legend B450 (which I use myself paired with ryzen 5 3600x). Other motherboard lige gigabyte and asus had some issues known with overheating VRM's due to poor quality alloy heatsinks (hard to believe that asus cheaped out on that). I have built hundreds of gaming computers as well as worked for long time in now forgotten repair shop in sheffield called ehallam. You more than welcome to contact me if you need any advice or answer