Drive Gate - Really Need Planning Permission?

According to various sources if you erect a gate that is on highway (or on footpath facing highway) you need planning permission to exceed 1m high - so pretty much any normal driveway gate

Like much of Sheffield we are on a hill and our house has a drive opening that slopes, the gate would have little "twiddly bit"at each side and be 98cm from the ground on one side and 106cm on the other. The height at the main horizontal wood would be 1m

mtgdweb_2.jpg

So will planning department really demand £206 if any part of the new gate exceeds 1m above the ground?

Have you asked them?

In the area where I live, there is a satellite dish above the gutter line, drive gates 6ft tall, people driving cars over the pavement with no dropped kerb, and a concrete garage built on the front lawn stretching from the lounge window up to the pavement line, so I wouldn't worry unduly.

Although you should apply, the infringement is minor.  Unless a neighbour reports the gate to the council it’s unlikely to be a problem.  Even if they do you can apply for retrospective approval.

Yea for something so minor just slap it in, I can't see anyone moaning it's a pretty obscure rule to begin with.

On 19/07/2020 at 18:39, carosio said:

In the area where I live, there is a satellite dish above the gutter line, drive gates 6ft tall, people driving cars over the pavement with no dropped kerb, and a concrete garage built on the front lawn stretching from the lounge window up to the pavement line, so I wouldn't worry unduly.

You say all those things as though they are wrong.  

Whats wrong with 6 ft drive gates or fences come to that.  maybe they like their privacy

TV aeriels all over sheffield all all heights why should satelite dishes be thought of any differently

its their vehicles suspension why the concern about lack of dropped kerb, as long as they don't reverse out who would care really

their garden their garage their business

I'm sorry but you are comming across as one of those snobs that wants anything in the  front garden  to be under 18" and homeowners or tenants to not park their vans on or in front of their homes.

Sheffield folk generally don't like being dictated to about their own homes its bad enough when the council get involved with things they be better off leaving and focussing on real issues, like noise and odour pollution.

Depends how much you believe in the planning regs, if there weren't any the place would end up like a shanty town. Many privately built estates have strict rules on what you can do (usually in the deed covenants) in order to keep some semblance of aesthetic order.

Satellite dishes (above a certain size) used to be limited to below the gutter line, although regs might have changed, plus when mounted at height have a habit of being ripped down with the wind!

Dropped kerbs- without one, you can't stop people parking in front of your "drive", so they wouldnt even be able to drive out in reverse or otherwise, and the housholder will be liable for fixing damaged pavings. Where there is also a grass verge, this tends to get churned up- nice!

The garage I was referring to is, I believe, on property rented from the Council and I would be surprised if they had sanctioned it.  On estate houses, it usually is not possible to get permission to erect a strucure in front of the building line (front wall of the house) apart from certain size extensions.