Sign in to follow this  

Where To Buy Used Study Books?

Does anyone know of an outlet that disposes of/sells it's study books when they become old and tatty?

For example the local universities. 

If anyone can advise that would be good. I'm thinking of the libraries too.

Freshers fairs and stalls early on during the first trimester in the Uni foyers and ads on the notice boards.  Depends what you're after.  Some sell on eBay.  

Charity shops local to the universities.  Not sure if the second hand book shop is still in Sharrow Vale - used to be good for academic publications.

If you could be a little more specific of what you're after, and what you want to do with the books, you might generate more helpful responses.

Local libraries often sell off used books at seriously knocked down prices.

Edited by Lex Luthor

5 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

If you could be a little more specific of what you're after, and what you want to do with the books, you might generate more helpful responses.

Thanks Lex. My interest is specifically in Soil microbiology. I want the books to study. I don't need any other books-not even books on other aspects of microbiology, so it may be a little niche subject wise.

Definitely try eBay and you could see if any of the unis offer related courses and ask if you could put an ad on their faculty notice board?

I don't know whether each faculty has a Facebook page?

I can only speak of chemistry text books but would apply to all scientific and technical books- and the news is bleak for the seller of undergraduate texts.

We had two "sets" of the most common undergraduate chemistry textbooks as they are common and have been superseded twice, they have no value and are about to be binned. A  few of the  specialized ones sold immediately but as they are now 5 years old they will be going soon.

Note down the "edition" and ISBN number and look them up in "Abe books" for realistic prices, Amazon  prices are often seriously overpriced by chancers and in no way reflect their real value.

The day of big heavy textbooks has ended as they are rarely geared to the course and are always out of date.

Many books have been superseded by up to date extracts available through very expensive  subscriptions sites.

Recent students will sell current  texts to new student at that university.

So if you are a student starting soon, wait until you have started before you do anything.

Anything online will attract a premium and will incur hideous posting costs.

The local book stores you bought them new,  will sometimes buy them back  and re-sell them instore. Take whatever price you can get, they rarely get better.

Specialized post graduate can attract a better price -the buyers may not be able to buy locally so will trawl "Abe". 

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Thanks Lex. My interest is specifically in Soil microbiology. I want the books to study. I don't need any other books-not even books on other aspects of microbiology, so it may be a little niche subject wise.

Ask the Chair in Soil Microbiology, Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield  Contact

Edited by Annie Bynnol

eBay and amazon second hand are normally quite good if you can find the books you want.

@Annie Bynnol

Thanks for the links, they seem like a good way to start.

13 hours ago, Janus said:

@Annie Bynnol

Thanks for the links, they seem like a good way to start.

Was about to suggest Abe books also. Great website, and an easy way to support second hand book sellers.

Blackwell's in the No1 Upper Hannover Street  Block buys an sells textbooks

I'll give them a ring, thanks.

Update:

I've failed to get a response thus far, after being provided with these links. I still see these links as potentially useful.

I emailed the guy at the university on 17th July, but maybe the Uni is closed until September?

When going online for the number for Blackwells on Upper Hangover,  there is a message saying 'temporary closed'.

It also mentions that the  shop is located in the university of Sheffield, so  maybe their opening mirrors university times?

I'm still interested.
I have checked Abe books online. Still on the look out.