Chinese People In Sheffield

I wonder what repercussions there will be on the city due to our national worsening relationship with China.

Less investment,less students?

It can’t be good for our economy as we suddenly adopt principles that are conveniently ignored in respect of other countries.

Our brave new Brexit world is shrinking fast

Lot's of complex factors at the moment that probably will impact numbers of Chinese students (international squabbling over 5G, Covid.....) but will be impossible to unravel them!

From memory visting Chinese students put about £180 million into the cities economy, 

4 hours ago, butlers said:

From memory visting Chinese students put about £180 million into the cities economy, 

That's gone then. 

6 hours ago, RJRB said:

I wonder what repercussions there will be on the city due to our national worsening relationship with China.

It can’t be good for our economy as we suddenly adopt principles that are conveniently ignored in respect of other countries.

There are 2.9 million British Overseas Nationals, born before 1997, currently in Hong Kong who are entitled to come & live here.  We've already maee them an offer. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/02/britains-citizenship-offer-to-hong-kong-how-china-could-respond

PS.  It's not another Brexit issue for the loosing side to try & resurrect the tired, old grievances yet again. 

Actually take time to read the latest reports & the possibility that the numbers of Chinese students may fall has nothing to do with the Huawei issue but more to do with the students & their parents worried for their health due to the ongoing COVID-19 issues in the UK. 

Add to this, fears about racist attacks & students worried that university courses will be mostly online & therefore they will miss out on face-to-face contact & the general cultural experience of being in the UK. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/education-53416337

Once again, I'll drive it home, nothing to do with Brexit.  Nothing to see, move on. 

Edited by Baron99

56 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

There are 2.9 million British Overseas Nationals, born before 1997, currently in Hong Kong who are entitled to come & live here.  We've already maee them an offer. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/02/britains-citizenship-offer-to-hong-kong-how-china-could-respond

PS.  It's not another Brexit issue for the loosing side to try & resurrect the tired, old grievances yet again. 

Actually take time to read the latest reports & the possibility that the numbers of Chinese students may fall has nothing to do with the Huawei issue but more to do with the students & their parents worried for their health due to the ongoing COVID-19 issues in the UK. 

Add to this, fears about racist attacks & students worried that university courses will be mostly online & therefore they will miss out on face-to-face contact & the general cultural experience of being in the UK. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/education-53416337

Once again, I'll drive it home, nothing to do with Brexit.  Nothing to see, move. 

I didn’t suggest that the probable reduction in Chinese Students,or Chinese investment had anything whatsoever to do with Brexit.

What I was referring to is that the world markets that we hoped to benefit from doesn’t look so rosy if we are at odds with one of the major potential partners that we hoped to cultivate.

Edited by RJRB

The Universities were panicking about Chinese numbers in Feb as that is when that start looking at students for the next academic year

11 hours ago, RJRB said:

I didn’t suggest that the probable reduction in Chinese Students,or Chinese investment had anything whatsoever to do with Brexit.

What I was referring to is that the world markets that we hoped to benefit from doesn’t look so rosy if we are at odds with one of the major potential partners that we hoped to cultivate.

The Chinese students already here didn't seem bothered by the EU arms embargo and other restrictions applied to China due to Tiananmen Square. Not sure why HK will make much difference.

On 16/07/2020 at 13:44, RJRB said:

Sheffield University's finances are very dependent on their fees. If they don't come it seems possible there will be large scale job losses and/or pay cuts for staff.

16 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Sheffield University's finances are very dependent on their fees. If they don't come it seems possible there will be large scale job losses and/or pay cuts for staff.

Many universities are teetering on the edge of bankrupcy. Some will go bankrupt.

The masked swearing, bickering and personal comments can stop now please.

i wish more Chinese people were here they work hard study hard and dont expect things given to them on a plate, obviously now there needs to be more health checks from students from China but that is to be expected.