Chinese People In Sheffield

we could end up with some of the chinese from  HONGKONG as they may wish to take up there english passport security,if so we could benefit from some many skilled workers and they bring there familys and wealth,also many students as well,so its all good ,except i hope we dont distance our country to much from china.we would find many items they produce hard to replace from elsewhere in my opinion.

7 hours ago, casualbystander said:

i wish more Chinese people were here they work hard study hard and dont expect things given to them on a plate, obviously now there needs to be more health checks from students from China but that is to be expected.

That used to be the case , if you talk to some of the indiginous Chinese they do not like the current batch of students coming from China . Because of the one child policy they are totally spoiled. Their parents just give them a credit card and ship them off to England for 3 years

On 17/07/2020 at 16:19, nightrider said:

Sheffield University's finances are very dependent on their fees. If they don't come it seems possible there will be large scale job losses and/or pay cuts for staff.

Already offering redundancy packages, and asking staff to volunteer to reduce working hours.

20 hours ago, Glennis said:

Already offering redundancy packages, and asking staff to volunteer to reduce working hours.

Doesn't tie up with Butler's post immediately above yours?

On 17/07/2020 at 17:41, casualbystander said:

i wish more Chinese people were here they work hard study hard and dont expect things given to them on a plate, obviously now there needs to be more health checks from students from China but that is to be expected.

again, its more likely them coming into the jaws of death with our covid record rather than "foreigners" bringing it here

19 hours ago, Weredoomed said:

Doesn't tie up with Butler's post immediately above yours?

Yes it does. The chinese favoured coming here before they saw how we handled covid. Now there is a big question mark whether they will come in the same numbers as last year.

I read somewhere very recently that the US throwing the dummy out of the pram with China has seen large numbers of Chinese students opting not to study in the US. Apparently one of the main beneficiaries of this is the UK, as these students are now looking to come here instead.

Time will tell I suppose.

Edited by Weredoomed

On 16/07/2020 at 14:34, butlers said:

From memory visting Chinese students put about £180 million into the cities economy, 

Which cities?