Judges Rule Shamima Begum Should Be Allowed Back In The Uk

Vaati

The bickering and "prove it" posts can cease.  Any further posts will result in accounts being suspended.

Message added by Vaati

21 minutes ago, Resident said:

The last I knew, collaboration with an enemy of the state falls under the heading of treason, which if I'm not mistaken can lead to life imprisonment. 

So pretty serious in the way crimes go. 

Did she collaborate with an enemy of the state? What does that actually entail?

Is there proof that'd stand up in a court of law?

Even if there was, does any of that apply to children?

Doubtful, I'd wager.

It would be helpful if we didn't invent laws such as "being an enemy of the state".  She had her UK citizenship removed by the Home Sec' because it was for the public good (my paraphrase, not a law ;) ) and the decision has been held up by the courts. 

Her father seems to be a piece of work who rabble roused for the cause so I too am perfectly willing to accept that she was groomed but that doesn't change the Home Sec's conclusion or the legality of it. There are most certainly better ways of handling her as an individual case but that's not what was happening. She and others like her have been made an example of in order to deter others. That decision has probably saved many lives that we'll never know about. 

8 hours ago, West 77 said:

The age of criminal responsibility is ten years old.  The three Muslim girls were all over 15 years old when they left this country to join an enemy terrorist organisation and should have known the difference between wrong and right.  All three girls will have been fully aware of the atrocities ISIS were committing at the time.

As Tony points out above, she's not been convicted of any crime.

8 hours ago, West 77 said:

I don't have a problem with people arguing the girls were groomed or brainwashed and should be allowed to return to the UK.  However, the war on terror isn't over and there are good arguments to remove citizenship regardless of how young the people were when they decided to support an enemy terrorist organisation especially to make an example of them.

Each to their own, personally I don't particularly care for Begum either, but I don't agree with removing her citizenship.

It also smacks of a double standard, since many adults who have gone off to actually fight have been allowed to return and face the consequences without much fanfare.

42 minutes ago, West 77 said:

She could hardly have been convicted of any crime when she hasn't been on trial for any alleged crimes.  You've already stated it's most unlikely she would be convicted of any serious crimes if she was allowed to return to the UK. The principle of reasonable doubt in English law makes it very unlikely she would be convicted of any serious crime in a British court.

Glad we can agree.

42 minutes ago, West 77 said:

There are no double standards at all because those who have returned to the UK officially have not had dual citizenship as is the case of Shamima Begum.

None of them? How would you know?

On 16/07/2020 at 10:51, tinfoilhat said:

Because she was a child. If she was 25 your argument would hold water.

have you ever heard the saying  you make your bed  you lay in it  i for one hope she ROTS  in what ever hole she is in now 

Shamima Begum loses her appeal in the Court of Appeal.

Your thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Shamima Begum loses her appeal in the Court of Appeal.

Your thoughts?

Current national threat level

The threat to the UK (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) from terrorism is SUBSTANTIAL.

So keeping her out has accheived very little.

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/threat-levels

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Current national threat level

The threat to the UK (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) from terrorism is SUBSTANTIAL.

So keeping her out has accheived very little.

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/threat-levels

She is insignificant in the overall picture, though.

The power of the state used to crush someone who made a totally stupid decision when she was 15 years old, still a child, another three years before she became an adult.

Makes you proud.

This was a terrific opportunity to use her case as a powerful deterrent to other young impressionable Muslim girls. She should have been welcomed back, making the state look magnanimous and caring toward its citizens, the exact opposite of the malignant misogynistic loathsome medieval place she found herself in.

She could have been interviewed and help expose what is obviously child abuse disguised as religious righteousness. We should have made use of her coming to her senses as a weapon against future repeats of her behaviour.

It would have been a win win situation, the country looks grown up civilised and caring toward its people from whatever background and gets to use the situation for our own purposes.

But no, let's show how tough we are when it comes to the actions of daft kids, that'll show em¬†¬†ūüôĄ

• Like 2

Hmmm, we won't allow a British citizen home but we will allow 1000s of military aged men to come live here?

That makes sense ūüôĄ

41 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Hmmm, we won't allow a British citizen home but we will allow 1000s of military aged men to come live here?

That makes sense ūüôĄ

Yes it does make sense.

She's not British anymore and she took herself off to join a terrorist group and we all know that everyone doesn't like would be terrorists coming to this country. 

• Like 3