Judges Rule Shamima Begum Should Be Allowed Back In The Uk

Vaati

The bickering and "prove it" posts can cease.  Any further posts will result in accounts being suspended.

Message added by Vaati

8 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

She was a 15 year old kid who had been brain washed by  religious nutters from birth .

All 15 year olds are easy to lead onto the wrong path , 

Exactly.

It strikes me that some of the posters who think it's right to use the power of the state to punish something a fifteen year old did have the same mindset as fanatic Muslim extremists who believe that only jihad and holy war will get them what they want.

I like to think we're better than that. This country has a renown military and is allied to the US currently the most powerful country in the world.

We can afford to look magnanimous, doing so would make us look good and as I said previously we could use it to our advantage.

I mentioned earlier, the award winning, Josh Baker podcast, series 2 of "I'm Not a Monster"; N.B. the series title predate the Begum story.
It seems that it's still available on BBC sounds, as I've just spotted his 6 minute update about her recent appeal.
The link to this latest one is HERE

The whole second series is worth listening to,; at least for those who chose to be informed, rather than preferring knee jerk reactions and being led blindly by a divisive press.
I'd be interested to know  if anyone chooses to listen to it, but it's 14 parts, so not really suitable for one quick hearing over a brew; I listened to each one over breakfast when the episodes were originally released .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08yblkf/episodes/downloads.

The first series is also worth a listen, but is about a different story

14 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

I read online it was around £5 million.

Would have been cheaper to let her come back and let justice take its course... she'd have been swinging from a lamppost within a month.

Can you imagine the trouble that would cause?

All sugar and spice wait until she goes to a crammed out gig wearing a rucksack .she turned her back on this country let her rot in her chosen land.

• Like 1

I  must admit that I don't often agree with JRM, but he seems spot on here, both in reasoning and concept.
That's twice recently that I've more or less supported his views.

Shamima Begum shouldn’t have lost her British citizenship   ⬅    Link to Spectator article.

Parliamentary sovereignty is the bedrock of the constitution, and the courts ought to accept it, even when bad laws are passed. It is not the job of the courts to make the law, but to adjudicate on it.

Thus the Appeal Court ruling against Shamima Begum is right, even if the decision of Sajid Javid, as Home Secretary, is wrong and ought never to have been made.
This is not because Ms Begum was groomed, trafficked and raped. These are serious considerations, and in all normal circumstances, a 15-year-old treated in such a barbarous way would not be held culpable for her actions.

However, extenuating circumstances do not always excuse other crimes, and if they are serious enough, it is possible, although in my view improbable, that they outweigh this treatment of the accused.
Nonetheless, the decision to deprive Ms Begum of her citizenship is wrong because it attacks two linchpins of the constitution that safeguard us all.

It is easy to defend constitutional principles in favour of good people, but it is more difficult to do so when it is acknowledged that someone has been involved with evil actions and organisations.

Ms Begum, by her association with and strong support for Isis, falls into the second category, but the constitution ought not to be abandoned when it is inconvenient, because a fair process routinely benefits us all.

Some of his Twitter followers seem to be having a bit of a meltdown.