Judges Rule Shamima Begum Should Be Allowed Back In The Uk

Vaati

The bickering and "prove it" posts can cease.  Any further posts will result in accounts being suspended.

Message added by Vaati

5 hours ago, the_bloke said:

I happened to see this on the news in passing and the sound was muted; so whilst I couldn't hear what she was saying, her body language was interesting. There was a lot of looking to the right while she was talking, as if she was reading something scripted or someone else was there prompting her what to say. She looked at the same fixed point every 5 seconds or so. I don't remember seeing anyone in the background behind her during the interview either though I could be wrong on that.

Fair play to her for finding new, clean western women's clothes in an Afghan refugee camp too, I'm sure she fits in really well.

I must admit that it struck me as a bit strange that she is supposed to be living in a refugee camp where everyone is below the poverty line and yet there she is, sunglasses on top of the head, smart clothes, looking decent.  Just like she has been dropped in from martinis round the pool with the jet set

Hard to believe her im afraid

For the small cohort in the thread, rediculouly hypothesising, throwing "What if's" around like there's shortage of them & trying to link Begum's situation, (& treatment & revoking of with her British citizenship),  by playing both class & race cards, well I'll see your cards & raise you English (Oxford born) to a Canadian father & British mother, (one an organic farmer, the other a charity fund raiser),  your very own, very WHITE, very MIDDLE CLASS, PUBLIC SCHOOL EDUCATED, Jack Letts.  Go look him up. 

Same as Begum, made his way out to Syria to fight for ISIS. Result, the British Govt. stripped him of his citizenship.  Oh & his very MIDDLE CLASS parents were also convicted at the Old Bailey of sending him money on the basis that they were funding a terrorist organisation. 

So let's put the 'their picking on Begum because of who & what she is' hypothesis drivel to bed shall we. 

3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

For the small cohort in the thread, rediculouly hypothesising, throwing "What if's" around like there's shortage of them & trying to link Begum's situation, (& treatment & revoking of with her British citizenship),  by playing both class & race cards, well I'll see your cards & raise you English (Oxford born) to a Canadian father & British mother, (one an organic farmer, the other a charity fund raiser),  your very own, very WHITE, very MIDDLE CLASS, PUBLIC SCHOOL EDUCATED, Jack Letts.  Go look him up. 

Same as Begum, made his way out to Syria to fight for ISIS. Result, the British Govt. stripped him of his citizenship.  Oh & his very MIDDLE CLASS parents were also convicted at the Old Bailey of sending him money on the basis that they were funding a terrorist organisation. 

So let's put the 'their picking on Begum because of who & what she is' hypothesis drivel to bed shall we. 

How old was jack letts when he joined up and how many people did he kill?

Guest makapaka
16 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

How old was jack letts when he joined up and how many people did he kill?

He was an adult. 

not a 15 year old. 

13 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

The Canadian government doesn't dispute Letts's Canadian citizenship. Bangladesh claims Begum does not hold Bangladeshi citizenship and she'd face the death penalty if she entered the country.

Personally, I think she's trying it on. She's shown no real remorse for what she's done. The western clothes are just a ruse to gain sympathy.

That said, I don't think the UK should be able to dump the problem of inconvenient people on other countries - particularly those less able to deal with them than we are. It would be bad enough for Bangladesh but she's currently in a Kurdish detention centre and we don't even recognise them as having a state.

She was groomed as a child. 

She made a stupid choice as a child

She's grown up a bit now and seems to regret what she did

I think she should have another chance and be allowed back home 

50 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You make a valid point about the ages.  Hopefully removing Shamima Begum's British citizenship has prevented other young people based in Britain from doing something similar and that is the most valid reason for removing her British citizenship.

If we chopped her head off on live tv just before strictly that might deter a few as well. Anyone else who we should strip citizenship from? There's a line now, right?

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

A moronic reply.

Oh pipe down you horrible little man.

16 hours ago, alchemist said:

I must admit that it struck me as a bit strange that she is supposed to be living in a refugee camp where everyone is below the poverty line and yet there she is, sunglasses on top of the head, smart clothes, looking decent.  Just like she has been dropped in from martinis round the pool with the jet set

Hard to believe her im afraid

I agree.

Noticed the dramatic change from how she departed the UK, dressed in Muslim attire.

Now in this latest interview,  Nike cap on, vest, 👓 and make up, you can see its all 'put on'.

She's only wanting to return because the objectives changed- ISIS didn't end up controlling what they set out to do.

20 hours ago, altus said:

That said, I don't think the UK should be able to dump the problem of inconvenient people on other countries - particularly those less able to deal with them than we are. It would be bad enough for Bangladesh but she's currently in a Kurdish detention centre and we don't even recognise them as having a state.

Indeed, citizens should never have that citizenship removed, for any reason (IMHO).

They should be taken to task and face the consequences in UK should they choose to return.

With regard to Begum the problem the government would have is that, beyond being a naive teenager, she hasn't really committed any particularly serious offence... she will walk and the government will be embarrassed.

I can't help feel it's more about perception and optics, than any notion of justice or accountability.

If she hadn't been a kid, and generated such media attention at the time, she'd be back now and we'd probably have no idea who she was.

Edited by Magilla

20 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You present a good argument for keeping her where she is.

How so?

On 18/09/2021 at 13:04, Magilla said:

With regard to Begum the problem the government would have is that, beyond being a naive teenager, she hasn't really committed any particularly serious offence...

The last I knew, collaboration with an enemy of the state falls under the heading of treason, which if I'm not mistaken can lead to life imprisonment. 

So pretty serious in the way crimes go.