Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more
Sign in to follow this  

Please Test Your Smoke Alarms

Posted (edited)

Hi to my fellow forummers

Saw this important message in the Star today:

The Star: Sheffield mum who ‘lost everything’ issues urgent warning after fire rips through home.
https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-mum-who-lost-everything-issues-urgent-warning-after-fire-rips-through-home-2913110

With all the chaos going on, it's easy to forget to do this.

If you haven't already, please subscribe to alerts from South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.

www.pressthebutton.co.uk

And you can normally book a home visit to assess your home for fire safety at

syfire.gov.uk

Edited by Lex Luthor

Thanks Lex, I always tested my alarms on Saturday mornings but this has fallen by the wayside during the everyday is the same of lockdown. I’ll be testing in the morning and finding a regular point for the future 

1 minute ago, catmiss said:

Thanks Lex, I always tested my alarms on Saturday mornings but this has fallen by the wayside during the everyday is the same of lockdown. I’ll be testing in the morning and finding a regular point for the future 

Well that response alone has made my thread worth taking the time.  Thank you, and I'm glad to hear it.  👍

I test mine and the carbon monoxide detector quite often.

Our get tested every 14 days. 

It's impossible to forget to do it as they beep once every 90s if they aren't tested every 14 days.

They were in the house when we moved in and had no idea about this until they beeped and I assumed that it was low battery so got the ladders out with a fresh 9v in hand. Swapped it over, tested it and then 14 days later,  beep . . . . . beep. Hit the test button and it stopped, until another 14 days. 

9 hours ago, Resident said:

Our get tested every 14 days. 

It's impossible to forget to do it as they beep once every 90s if they aren't tested every 14 days.

They were in the house when we moved in and had no idea about this until they beeped and I assumed that it was low battery so got the ladders out with a fresh 9v in hand. Swapped it over, tested it and then 14 days later,  beep . . . . . beep. Hit the test button and it stopped, until another 14 days. 

That's a good feature.  They should all do that.

Mine sound every time I put the dripping in for Yorkshire puddings if I forget to shut the kitchen door 😳

1 hour ago, Lex Luthor said:

That's a good feature.  They should all do that.

TBH it is and it isn't, mostly the isnt is because it decides 1am is the right time to start bloody beeping. 😂

59 minutes ago, Resident said:

TBH it is and it isn't, mostly the isnt is because it decides 1am is the right time to start bloody beeping. 😂

I did wonder about that 😉. Better safe than sorry though.

1 hour ago, catmiss said:

Mine sound every time I put the dripping in for Yorkshire puddings if I forget to shut the kitchen door 😳

Ours sounds every time dinner's ready. 😁