Going Back In Time .

Well I received the latest album by The Midnight last week. What I like is their quirky use of sound, such as ejecting a cassette and reinserting.

This brought back wonderful dial-up memories (not!) Remember those evenings wasted updating Norton Internet Security, only to find after spending 1 hour you got the dreaded message "You need to download again!" It precedes track 2 - America Online!

But...

Do you remember the first time you connected to the internet? It was amazing! Admittedly you probably spent the whole day trying to get your modem set up and then the joys that came from people like AOL and Freeserve (was it?)

Looking back it was so slow, but at the time it was cutting edge technology in your own home. Listening to those little squeaks and crackles...and waiting...and waiting, then on to a BB, plain text, no flashy stuff.

I'll not go into the floppy install of Windows 95 and how 9 times out of 10 it would fail on the last floppy! 😄

Good times but I'm glad they are long gone.

Yes Freeserve was the first ISP I was with, then Tiscali - who got taken over by TT - I've still got my Diamond Express 56k Modem - perhaps I should put it to good use and set it up as a FAX like you could in Windows 95! LOL!

Edited by swarfendor437

I go back to C/PM and MSDOS v 1.0 - you had to put a line in the autoexec.bat file to send output to the monitor / CRT!

That was what put me off Windows - when I was a TU Rep at a previous place of work, the Branch Office had Windows 3 but to launch it you had to look at a blinking cursor and enter 'WIN' - that's when I decided my first 'proper' computer would be the Amiga 1500! 😄

16 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

That was what put me off Windows - when I was a TU Rep at a previous place of work, the Branch Office had Windows 3 but to launch it you had to look at a blinking cursor and enter 'WIN' - that's when I decided my first 'proper' computer would be the Amiga 1500! 😄

That was only if they didn't have it in the autoexec.bat

as DOS it's self was an OS, and Windows was effectively just a program/app (and not the OS) - it makes perfect sense...