Edward Colston Statue Replaced By Protest Figure

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

Not happy of course.

Also not happy that Joe Bloggs can come along and do criminal damage on a statue and get away with it.

There really (urgently, considering recent events) needs to be a proper legal process, whereby we democratically decide if to remove statues (or other works) that some consider offensive. I’m not sure exactly how that would work, but there needs to be some legal route for this.

A climate where anyone can come along and destroy anything they consider offensive, and get away with breaking law, is not a good place to be.

im not happy it was damaged either, it is art and history, but art and history for me belong in art galleries and museums where you are free to go visit if you want, apparently theres been talk of it being removed for decades and nothing happened, same with the Colston statue there was a large public campaign to get it removed, which i believe they ignored. sadly this is the end result if people are ignored

5 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I dont know the history of the statue or the person who created it

some of its mentioned in the link a few posts up

8 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Not happy of course.

Also not happy that Joe Bloggs can come along and do criminal damage on a statue and get away with it.

There really (urgently, considering recent events) needs to be a proper legal process, whereby we democratically decide if to remove statues (or other works) that some consider offensive. I’m not sure exactly how that would work, but there needs to be some legal route for this.

A climate where anyone can come along and destroy anything they consider offensive, and get away with breaking the law, is not a good place to be.

The pulling down of statues goes back thousands of years and has always been a weapon or a sign for regime change

As ive said in previous comments i believe the recent events in places like Bristol to be politically motivated 

We have to put a stop to it now or it will just get out of control 

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

Back to the link, are you Happy to have statues created by pedophiles out in the open?

Made by a man who gleefully wrote about what he did to his own daughters

And prisoners of war, didnt they build some bridges in China? Where do we stop?

The Bridge on the River Kwai, was that just a film, or did it really happen.

10 minutes ago, El Cid said:

And prisoners of war, didnt they build some bridges in China? Where do we stop?

The Bridge on the River Kwai, was that just a film, or did it really happen.

That was the Burmese railway, my grandad worked on that

Back to the link, are you Happy to have statues created by pedophiles out in the open?

Made by a man who gleefully wrote about what he did to his own daughters

How long has this statue been there? How many millions of people have walked passed them blissfully ignorant, but are now so outraged they need to get rid of them?

12 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

How long has this statue been there? How many millions of people have walked passed them blissfully ignorant, but are now so outraged they need to get rid of them?

You could say that about actual peadophiles

My thoughts on this are that we need to

STOP: Hammer Crime!

3 hours ago, Delbow said:

Priti Patel would lock this man up for ten years. Ten years.

Sounds about right as a deterrent.  The same should apply to the four Bristol rioters.

One question.

Was Gill ever prosecuted for being a peadophile? 

57 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

One question.

Was Gill ever prosecuted for being a peadophile? 

No. His behaviour only came to light during examination of his private diaries after his death.

on a similar note, Midget gems are to be renamed by Marks and Spensers, due to the term Midget being derogatory, should get some worked up LOL

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-59981811

When you say - "should get some worked up LOL" who do you mean?