Edward Colston Statue Replaced By Protest Figure

13 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

The bit about using black businesses?  He didn’t write that - that part of the speech was a small section of a larger text which was passed to him to read out.  I’m guessing you didn’t know that.  Maybe because the media you consume only focused on that one small section of a 15 minute speech?  Yes, if a white man had said to favour white businesses I think it would be taken negatively by the media.  But considering you have no idea about the rest of the speech, which Joshua wrote himself, it’s not obvious what point you are making as there is no double standard.

I don't care what he did and did not write, stop being such an apologist for his words, you will be telling me he did not know what he was saying next, would that be because of some lack of educational opportunity, give me strength, how desperate can you get, and don't be so smart about what I know and don't know and what media I consume, because you have no idea Arnold !

1 minute ago, Michael_W said:

I don't care what he did and did not write, stop being such an apologist for his words, you will be telling me he did not know what he was saying next, would that be because of some lack of educational opportunity, give me strength, how desperate can you get, and don't be so smart about what I know and don't know and what media I consume, because you have no idea Arnold !

I didn't apologise for his words.  I said you only know about one small aspect of what Joshua said (but didn't write) because the media you consume highlighted that bit.  I.e. he didn't get away with it like you say a white person wouldn't either.

1 hour ago, Michael_W said:

People like you can't wait to bring that up. 

2 hours ago, Michael_W said:

careful you will be accused of "casual racism" whatever that is .

2 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

I didn't apologise for his words.  I said you only know about one small aspect of what Joshua said (but didn't write) because the media you consume highlighted that bit.  I.e. he didn't get away with it like you say a white person wouldn't either.

What are you trying to say by mentioning that he did not write it then ? That he is not responsible for what comes out of his mouth ? Really a grown man is not responsible for the words that come out of his mouth ?

Get a grip, If he had been white and said those words in the same context about white businesses, the media would have had a field day !

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

People like you can't wait to bring that up. 

People like me, you're another one, come and tell me  what people like me are, seeing as your so smart too !

32 minutes ago, casualbystander said:

careful you will be accused of "casual racism" whatever that is .

There's a new slant of racism created every week, but it's only directed at white people, because by default we are all privileged as a by product of our racist history.

10 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

What are you trying to say by mentioning that he did not write it then ? That he is not responsible for what comes out of his mouth ? Really a grown man is not responsible for the words that come out of his mouth ?

Get a grip, If he had been white and said those words in the same context about white businesses, the media would have had a field day !

Some of the media did have a field day over that small section of the speech.  That’s what I’m saying.  They ignored everything else he said about gang culture, building community projects, equality etc.  I thought it was obvious what I was saying.   

So Michael, do you believe that Joshua is racist?  Did you know he has a white grandmother?

Edited by Arnold_Lane

6 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Some of the media did have a field day over that small section of the speech.  That’s what I’m saying.  They ignored everything else he said about gang culture, building community projects, equality etc.  

So Michael, do you believe that Joshua is racist?  Did you know he has a white grand mother?

I believe that had a white person recommended white people spend money in white owned businesses , in a public speech, regardless of who wrote the words they would have been branded racist, whatever else he said and the colour of his grandmother is totally irrelevant to that point !

Edited by Michael_W

Just now, Michael_W said:

I believe that had a white person recommended white people spend money in white owned businesses , in a public speech, regardless of who wrote the words they would have been branded racist, whatever else he said and the colour of his grandmother is is totally irrelevant to that point !

Joshua HAS been branded racist by some for reading what he did. So what is your broader point exactly?

Just now, Arnold_Lane said:

Joshua HAS been branded racist by some for reading what he did. So what is your broader point exactly?

My broader point is that there seems to be quite a bit of hypocrisy around racism, for example making a statement about white lives mattering get's people sacked !

13 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

My broader point is that there seems to be quite a bit of hypocrisy around racism, for example making a statement about white lives mattering get's people sacked !

Well, I think I’d have to look at the context with which it was said before claiming hypocrisy.  Like one should look at the context and other content in Joshua’s speech before getting all het up.

It’s worth repeating, for those that are still struggling, that the slogan Black Lives Matter never implied other lives don’t when it originated.

Edited by Arnold_Lane