Edward Colston Statue Replaced By Protest Figure

27 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Numerous statues, memorials and inscriptions about Saville have been removed, in many different cities.  All because public opinion made it necessary.

Times change, new information comes to light, people’s attitudes change.

So.. 

Are you offended by the statue of the Roman Emperor Trajan in London? Should it be removed?

30 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

So.. 

Are you offended by the statue of the Roman Emperor Trajan in London? Should it be removed?

I could hardly care less.

Do you understand the relevance of the Jimmy Saville analogy now?

15 hours ago, Pettytom said:

I could hardly care less.

Do you understand the relevance of the Jimmy Saville analogy now?

I understand your analogy, but I don't agree with it.

Saville was a criminal. Colston was not.

You say that things have changed, and what was once acceptable is no longer so the statues should come down. Should they all come down? What is the criteria here? This is why I asked about Trajan, who enslaved hundreds of thousands of people from all nations across Europe, including Britain. 

Does Trajan escape scrutiny because he was a Roman Emperor, not a Tory?

17 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Don't you imagine that if they did that, some people would question why they don't help all other people as well?

Churches?  What about synagogues, mosques etc????

Aye Michael?

It's OK they are Black so it seems acceptable, questioned by some maybe, but look at the what Anthony Joshua came out with a few weeks ago, and recognise that had any white person made such a 'racist' comment the MSM would have had a field day, would you agree Arnold ?

50 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

It's OK they are Black so it seems acceptable, questioned by some maybe, but look at the what Anthony Joshua came out with a few weeks ago, and recognise that had any white person made such a 'racist' comment the MSM would have had a field day, would you agree Arnold ?

Which part? The bit he wrote or the bit someone else wrote?

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

I understand your analogy, but I don't agree with it.

Saville was a criminal. Colston was not.

You say that things have changed, and what was once acceptable is no longer so the statues should come down. Should they all come down? What is the criteria here? This is why I asked about Trajan, who enslaved hundreds of thousands of people from all nations across Europe, including Britain. 

Does Trajan escape scrutiny because he was a Roman Emperor, not a Tory?

I think the key thing is time for starters. And most white British people don’t see themselves as oppressed (although I was talking to one donut who felt oppressed that coulstons statue was taken down even though he’d never seen it). A lot of black people feel they aren’t getting a fair deal and I’m not sure statues of slavers help. Put them in a museum maybe - theres still a bust of couslton in Bristol for you to admire, fondle or pray to. 

And, let’s be honest, if the council had turned up and taken it down for “cleaning” and not put it back the vast majority of the country wouldn’t have know or cared. There wasn’t a big protest when Robert Milligan’s statue was removed. This boils down - for many not all - that a load of black people pulled a statue down and some white people don’t like it.

4 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think the key thing is time for starters. And most white British people don’t see themselves as oppressed (although I was talking to one donut who felt oppressed that coulstons statue was taken down even though he’d never seen it). A lot of black people feel they aren’t getting a fair deal and I’m not sure statues of slavers help. Put them in a museum maybe - theres still a bust of couslton in Bristol for you to admire, fondle or pray to. 

And, let’s be honest, if the council had turned up and taken it down for “cleaning” and not put it back the vast majority of the country wouldn’t have know or cared. There wasn’t a big protest when Robert Milligan’s statue was removed. This boils down - for many not all - that a load of black people pulled a statue down and some white people don’t like it.

The final sentence sums it up

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

The final sentence sums it up

and if the reverse were true??? say a load idiot edl members or any other white far right group pulled down a statue???? Nelson Mandela for instance , his statue? some would say him and his wife were terrorists and so people maybe want to pull that down??

genuinely asking dont want to cause offence after my short imposed holiday!

7 minutes ago, casualbystander said:

and if the reverse were true??? say a load idiot edl members or any other white far right group pulled down a statue???? Nelson Mandela for instance , his statue? some would say him and his wife were terrorists and so people maybe want to pull that down??

genuinely asking dont want to cause offence after my short imposed holiday!

personally speaking i dont care, statues are statues, removing statues dont remove history, i believe a black persons statue was defaced, funnily enough that didnt garner the same outrage that colstons did...false outrage built on false national pride, bigotry and out and out racism

The crowd who pulled the Colston  one down were predominantly white  pulling a statue if a white slave trader down

The EDL ( RIP), were exclusively white so the optics if them pulling down one if the few statues of a black notable..would just confirm what most people think.

I had the pleasure of being in Barker's Sq., when the EDL were here

8 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Which part? The bit he wrote or the bit someone else wrote?

The bit that came out of his mouth !

47 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

The bit that came out of his mouth !

The bit about using black businesses?  He didn’t write that - that part of the speech was a small section of a larger text which was passed to him to read out.  I’m guessing you didn’t know that.  Maybe because the media you consume only focused on that one small section of a 15 minute speech?  Yes, if a white man had said to favour white businesses I think it would be taken negatively by the media.  But considering you have no idea about the rest of the speech, which Joshua wrote himself, it’s not obvious what point you are making as there is no double standard.

Edited by Arnold_Lane
Clarity