Edward Colston Statue Replaced By Protest Figure

17 hours ago, The Joker said:

I fail to see the relevance, but I must say they're wearing nice outfits, very similar to the Chubby Brown protestors that made fools of themselves in the city centre a couple of months back.

0_ctr_hde_100921_RoyChubbyBrownprotest.j

lol not many there is that how many he gets in an audience these days?

4 hours ago, Delbow said:

That's not the only conclusion. Mayor Marvin Rees is on record as saying he didn't want to make it a big issue because he didn't want to lose 'political capital' over the issue. I'm not entirely sure what he meant by that, but I'm guessing he didn't want to **** certain people off so much that it would get in the way of other things he wanted to achieve. He has however said he is glad the statue is gone.

Just to add another variant to this story.

What if the statue had fallen on someone's head and killed them whilst it was being toppled without consent whilst the police were watching ?

5 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

What if the statue had fallen on someone's head and killed them whilst it was being toppled without consent whilst the police were watching ?

As happened to one poor little poppet in Virginia:  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/confederate-monument-virginia-protests-a9561981.html

23 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

That's an extreme level of "what if..?" What if you went out and got hit by a car? Don't go outside!

Just now, Delbow said:

That's an extreme level of "what if..?" What if you went out and got hit by a car? Don't go outside!

Hardly so when exactly that happened to a protesting idiot while vandalising a statue in the States.

9 minutes ago, Delbow said:

More of a Why Didn't the police intervene.

14 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Priti Patel would lock this man up for ten years. Ten years.

Should we demolish all the buildings in Germany that was built by the Nazis? 🤔

11 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Should we demolish all the buildings in Germany that was built by the Nazis? 🤔

Back to the link, are you Happy to have statues created by pedophiles out in the open?

Made by a man who gleefully wrote about what he did to his own daughters

13 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Back to the link, are you Happy to have statues created by pedophiles out in the open?

You didnt answer my question

But i'll answer yours.....

I dont know the history of the statue or the person who created it

But the option of researching the subject and then making an informed decision has now been taken away from me by an idiot with a hammer and chisel

Who gives him the right to destroy the statue? Its not his property

If i live next door to you and i dont like your new patio extension does that give me the right to climb over your fence and pull it down?........No it does not

The catholic church is responsible for some unspeakable crimes...does that give me the right to burn down Sheffield cathedral?..........No it does not

We cant just allow anyone to destroy history on a whim.....we'd have nothing left 

29 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Not happy of course.

Also not happy that Joe Bloggs can come along and do criminal damage on a statue and get away with it.

There really (urgently, considering recent events) needs to be a proper legal process, whereby we democratically decide if to remove statues (or other works) that some consider offensive. I’m not sure exactly how that would work, but there needs to be some legal route for this.

A climate where anyone can come along and destroy anything they consider offensive, and get away with breaking the law, is not a good place to be.

Edited by Waldo