Edward Colston Statue Replaced By Protest Figure

8 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Channel4 news last night... according to the legal pundits, and the defence in this case, no precedent was set.

The case hinged entirely on the facts in this case.

if that is correct then i will happily stand corrected and withdraw the point  

Just for clarification, when I said brilliant news! I was being sarcastic.

This is an erosion of the principles of law and order. Who needs principles though, it’s a woke world we live in now!

5 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Just for clarification, when I said brilliant news! I was being sarcastic.

This is an erosion of the principles of law and order. Who needs principles though, it’s a woke world we live in now!

There's sometimes a difference between doing the right thing and doing things the 'right' way. Also, everyone involved in the statue protest was clearly acting very much on principles.

Edited by Delbow

8 minutes ago, Delbow said:

There's sometimes a difference between doing the right thing and doing things the 'right' way. Also, everyone involved in the statue protest was clearly acting very much on principles.

Acting according to their personal inclinations / principles … no doubt. Acting according to legal principles, no.

The correct thing for a court to do is surely to rule on the basis of legal principles, not on the basis of what individuals feel is right.

Edited by Waldo

3 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I guarantee more criminal damage will be committed by lawless mobs as a consequence of the jury verdict in this case.

Technically, there is no criminal damage in this case to emulate :?

3 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A bad day for law and order.

A great day for justice and common sense.

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Acting according to their personal inclinations / principles … no doubt. Acting according to legal principles, no.

The correct thing for a court to do is surely to rule on the basis of legal principles, not on the basis of what individuals feel is right.

Well the legal principle here is that the jury decides. 

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Then there would be no point in having a jury at all.

12 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Well the legal principle here is that the jury decides. 

Jury decided to ignore the law!

It’s an erosion of the principles of law and order in favour of woke-ism. Not good!

My feeling is, pulling down that statue was illegal AND wrong; the correct thing (in my view) would be to go through proper legal channels, petition, protest, etc, until the authorities removed the statue.

12 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Then there would be no point in having a jury at all.

I think a jury decides if the accused has broken the law or not, isn’t that how it works?

Edited by Waldo

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It’s an erosion of the principles of law and order in favour of woke-ism. Not good!

My feeling is, pulling down that statue was illegal AND wrong; the correct thing (in my view) would be to go through proper legal channels, petition, protest, etc, until the authorities removed the statue.

'Woke-ism' is a meaningless term. It just means anything the person using it doesn't like. Basically you're having a strop because a jury made a decision you wouldn't have made - you'll just have to deal with it.

It’s fine my friend, no strop here, I am perfectly fine, thanks for your concern!

I am simply making an observation, I’m sorry you’re not willing to debate it. I’ll deal with it.

14 minutes ago, Waldo said:

As is their right, and in part, the reason for having a jury at all.

They're not just there to judge the defendant, they exist to strike a balance between following their own sense of justice and respecting the accumulated cultural knowledge represented by the law.

The jury have the freedom to ignore the law or the judge’s guidance on how the law should be applied.

There's nothing "woke" about it.

The jurors in the case do not agree with your view.

Edited by Magilla

5 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Nonsense.

It's hardly a great day for justice and common sense to encourage lawless mob behaviour and criminal damage.

It's a bad day for racists and slavery apologists is what it is.