Edward Colston Statue Replaced By Protest Figure

I don't think we have many Portuguese or African slave traders as statues in this country

9 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Tell me, if your ancestors had been rounded up, beaten, treated worse than animals, shipped off thousands of miles away from their homes and families and in to a life of slavery, how do you think you'd feel having to see a statue of a person every day, glorifying that?

It's called white privilege, some just cannot empathise with others as they have not suffered the same fate

Edited by melthebell

13 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

An odd proclamation for him to make but fair play for owning it.

There is far too much shilly-shallying “I’m not racist but I just can’t stand it when they get all uppity” on this forum ;)

Under an assumed name? That's not owning it, he'll have another name in a month

23 hours ago, casualbystander said:

well what a sad world if we have to get rid of all history?  we learn from history.

What a fantastic strawman! Who's suggesting that we get rid of all history?! There is talk of getting rid of statues celebrating salve traders, and the resulting discussions are doing quite a lot to actually highlight certain bits of history concerning the oppression of those enslaved and the fact that some well respected historical figures were in reality, responsible for, or profiting from, that trade.

17 hours ago, Halibut said:

What a load of piffle.

Is the notion of black people having power distressing to you?

And once again Halibut you contribute absolutely nothing to the conversation and fail to read the context of the post instead choosing to just post your usual non helpful or non point making posts. Why dont you read the quote below which is the response from the person i was replying to instead of making a comment completely invalid to my post

12 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

I didn't know that, sheffbag, thank you.

I still like it though and think that it's a very appropriate replacement.

Lex - You're welcome. Hope my post didnt come as confrontational.

12 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

And once again Halibut you contribute absolutely nothing to the conversation and fail to read the context of the post instead choosing to just post your usual non helpful or non point making posts. Why dont you read the quote below which is the response from the person i was replying to instead of making a comment completely invalid to my post

Lex - You're welcome. Hope my post didnt come as confrontational.

I've no idea what you're talking about - my question was clearly aimed at casualbystander, didn't mention you at all, and was quite clearly a reasonable question based on casualbystanders comments.

17 hours ago, Halibut said:

So you think that black people should have fewer rights than white people?

of course not and they dont simple, the leftie pc perception is they do but in reality its either a misguided drum to bang or certain cultures have  a laid back attitude to work and getting on in life, even more so nowadays.

9 minutes ago, casualbystander said:

of course not and they dont simple, the leftie pc perception is they do but in reality its either a misguided drum to bang or certain cultures have  a laid back attitude to work and getting on in life, even more so nowadays.

You're playing the old racist trope of ''Blacks are lazy aren't you?''. Remarkable.

3 minutes ago, Halibut said:

You're playing the old racist trope of ''Blacks are lazy aren't you?''. Remarkable.

oh not at all, you were the one that said i think they should have fewer rights?? i actually said they have the same rights across the board its how they choose to use those rights which makes the difference.

Just now, casualbystander said:

oh not at all, you were the one that said i think they should have fewer rights?? i actually said they have the same rights across the board its how they choose to use those rights which makes the difference.

So which cultures were you saying have a ''laid back attitude to work and getting on in life'' then? Who did you mean?

2 minutes ago, Halibut said:

So which cultures were you saying have a ''laid back attitude to work and getting on in life'' then? Who did you mean?

well how far shall i go? some west Indian and Caribbean but by no means all and its generally the younger inner city generation rather than the older windrush generation.  by the way its not exclusive to colour either there are many laid back whites waiting for the next handout too.

Pretty sure it's Gen Xers

11 minutes ago, casualbystander said:

well how far shall i go? some west Indian and Caribbean but by no means all and its generally the younger inner city generation rather than the older windrush generation.  by the way its not exclusive to colour either there are many laid back whites waiting for the next handout too.

Would you say on average blacks are lazier than whites?