Edward Colston Statue Replaced By Protest Figure

17 minutes ago, casualbystander said:

well what a sad world if we have to get rid of all history?  we learn from history.

Get rid of them leering over black people on their way to work every day and put them in museums - the only decent place for them.

42 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I think you are holding a minority view there.

Maybe you could work on an “easily offended by things that aren’t remotely offensive” salute. Maybe, fingers in ears or something like that. And I never compared Jen to a Nazi it’s the salutes that bothers me.

42 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I think you are holding a minority view there.

Maybe you could work on an “easily offended by things that aren’t remotely offensive” salute. Maybe, fingers in ears or something like that.

The raised fist can be used has a symbol of unity but it can also be used to promote and has been Black Power. I have no problem people being proud of their ancestry but I’m against anyone promoting theirs above another. I never compared Jen to a nazi it’s the salutes that bother me.

Edited by hobinfoot

20 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

Get rid of them leering over black people on their way to work every day and put them in museums - the only decent place for them.

Those statues didn't stop black people coming here to live and work for the last 60 years or so, why the  big issue now ?

Oh yes because some idiot cop in America killed a black man, your typical of the many middle class apologists trying to shift the guilt elsewhere so as to waiver your own prejudices, as seen in the mainstream media for the last couple of months, people falling over themselves to virtue signal and make out it has nothing to do with them ...... sorry love your guilty by association like the rest of the white privileged folk, 400 years of oppression remember !

So don't go trying to point the finger elsewhere to make yourself feel better in 'White Saviour' fashion, people like you make me laugh, the 'temporary' statue of some unknown person has rightly come down and the majority of people in Bristol will probably not want it back, despite what the noisy minority think, I'm sure there will be somebody more worthy of having their statue erected in it's place !

Edited by Michael_W

As Bristol was willing to take Colston's money that he made from the slave trade should we get rid of Bristol?

37 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

Those statues didn't stop black people coming here to live and work for the last 60 years or so, why the  big issue now ?

Oh yes because some idiot cop in America killed a black man, your typical of the many middle class apologists trying to shift the guilt elsewhere so as to waiver your own prejudices, as seen in the mainstream media for the last couple of months, people falling over themselves to virtue signal and make out it has nothing to do with them ...... sorry love your guilty by association like the rest of the white privileged folk, 400 years of oppression remember !

So don't go trying to point the finger elsewhere to make yourself feel better in 'White Saviour' fashion, people like you make me laugh, the 'temporary' statue of some unknown person has rightly come down and the majority of people in Bristol will probably not want it back, despite what the noisy minority think, I'm sure there will be somebody more worthy of having their statue erected in it's place !

Your bitter comments are not going to stop me being happy about activism making the world a better and fairer place and wanting to celebrate it.

I'm glad people like me make you laugh because it sounds like you desperately need to do that.

Edited by Lex Luthor

14 minutes ago, retep said:

As Bristol was willing to take Colston's money that he made from the slave trade should we get rid of Bristol?

No, we shouldn’t get rid of Liverpool either. Maybe we don’t celebrate slavers and do more to acknowledge their role in slavery?

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

No, we shouldn’t get rid of Liverpool either. Maybe we don’t celebrate slavers and do more to acknowledge their role in slavery?

See how it spreads with your mention of Liverpool, all guilty by association?

Liverpool is having its own problems.

Good old Penny Lane sat quietly in the suburbs until BLM.  Then the sign gets vandalised.

I wonder how many are suddenly offended because the populous decrees so .

0_WhatsApp-Image-2020-06-12-at-113816jpe

Penny Lane will not be renamed confirms Mayor Joe Anderson

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/penny-lane-not-renamed-confirms-18435300

27 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

But are we actually "celebrating" them?  These statues are hardly new.  People don't gather round them once a year and celebrate their anniversary.

Edited by alchresearch

1 hour ago, retep said:

See how it spreads with your mention of Liverpool, all guilty by association?

Liverpool made a lot of money through slavery. Go to the international slavery museum to learn more.

Its in Liverpool.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Liverpool is having its own problems.

Good old Penny Lane sat quietly in the suburbs until BLM.  Then the sign gets vandalised.

I wonder how many are suddenly offended because the populous decrees so .

0_WhatsApp-Image-2020-06-12-at-113816jpe

Penny Lane will not be renamed confirms Mayor Joe Anderson

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/penny-lane-not-renamed-confirms-18435300

But are we actually "celebrating" them?  These statues are hardly new.  People don't gather round them once a year and celebrate their anniversary.

They were celebrated otherwise we wouldn’t have statues of them.  As I said earlier, we’ve been replacing stuff that’s not been in favour for what ever reason since the year dot, there wasn’t all this nonsense when Michael Jackson’s statue got binned from outside Fulham. If I could be arsed I’m sure I could find lots of examples of statues being removed, names being changed. The Windsor family being the obvious one!

Penny lane was done by idiots. Lots of street signs are defaced by idiots.

3 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Wow.  I don't think you can compare Jen to a Nazi, really!

I didn't see a statue of an advocate of Black Power, just a statue of an activist celebrating a much-needed and overdue positive change brought about by people, black and white, coming together.  The raised fist is a symbol of solidarity and activism, used by people of all ethnicities around the world.

The statue is called A Surge Of Power.

Jen Reid said herself that she was making the Black Power salute when she was originally on the plinth. Not a raised fist as a symbol of "solidarity and activism". She then went and was photographed over 200 times making the black power salute in order for the statue to be created.

You might not see it as an advocate of black power, but considering the title and the self confessed reasoning behind the positioning of the subject then to me it is. 

5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Liverpool made a lot of money through slavery. Go to the international slavery museum to learn more.

Its in Liverpool.

Looks like it's down with  the Liver Birds then.