Social Housing Fences

I live in a semi detached house and the other half is own by the council.  The fence in between the houses in in a poor state of repair.  Is it the responsibility of the council or the tenant to repair it

as a ex tara sec for many years,i am sure you will find SCC/housing never pay for fencing or if it came as part/parcel as a new house ,they wont replace,typical example they put in bath lights and kitchen lights ,but wont replace the light tubes,i think you will find if you want a new fence you will have to pay for it or if your neighbour wants a new one,try to go 50/50,but worth a phone call,but i cannot see SCC paying.hope that helps.

Nobody has to do anything.

Your deeds, purchase agreement or Land Registry might indicate who is responsible for the fence, either you, them or the council or both.

If it is established that the fence is not yours and unless otherwise indicated you have no control over what your neighbour/council does. Nothing is an option. Pulling it down is an option.

If you build your own fence on your own land it benefits you in the long run. Choose a fence which is 'good' on both sides and maintain the original boundary markers and posts and photo- be reasonable and talk to your neighbour but don't ask them for money as it complicates things legally.

only suggesting if neighbour offers,but forget SCC,but i agree i would talk to neighbour and put up a fence on his own side,i prefer hedges as its better for the nature ect and lasts longer,but your choice.

I jointly installed a fence some 20 years with my neighbour between our semi's. Due to the losses of previous fences due to wind we both took additional measure,they planted leylandii and we planted climbers and a couple of shrubs.

My current neighbours came 10 years ago and chopped down the leylandii, i warned them they were a wind break. Consequently the fence has gotten worse although my climbers added another 2 foot to the height,they have supported the fence from blowing over.

My neighbour decided to replace the fence this year with a combination of plastic stuff (i've done the other side of my garden in grey composite already which is the side i'm responsible for)and traditional fence panels and advised he was cutting the hedge, knock your self out was my reply.

It is still only partly done from February,because its an absolute swine of a project,i've offered to help but he just cracks on when we aren't home.

I've advised him i'm painting my side of the wooden panels grey to match the plastic stuff he's used - which is the legal approach to the matter, a)as i don't want wood fencing really and (b) i don't want green wood fencing.

So the moral is - others replacing the fence doesn't always get you what you want.