Jack Charlton - Rip

Shame a very decent guy you always knew where you were with him he didn’t mess about,85 was a good age RIP Jack.

what a great gentleman,he saved SWFC from the obis ,great memorys and 1 liners,like i came sat in the stand,heard you all wanted me,so strolled accross the pitch signed as manager,on the following days thought if only i had just left,but he did us proud signing players on the river bank,saving us and doing us proud, RIP  big jack sadly missed by swfc,fans and many thousands around the world.

I met him a few times in the Bar at S6.  A funny man. A rare phenomenon in being a good player and a good Manager.

He did many good things for his clubs and for Ireland too.

R.I.P. Big Jack.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Edited by Hotmale 1954

Brought us back from our darkest hours was loved by so many at S6 and  all the clubs  he represented. R.I.P  B ig Jack.

Sadly big Jack has died , He was one of our best managers ever , He brightened up the place when we were at our lowest Ebb . RIP Jack  .

I think I'm right in saying he worked without a contract at all of his clubs. For most of today's managers, the contract seems to be the thing dearest to their hearts.

He was a breath of fresh air at Hillsborough. How we could do with him right now.

RIP Jack.

Sad news,very popular guy,a name recognised world wide that stems from a reputation built on hard work and a professional attitude.

Met him a few times while he was Wednesday manager in both a professional and social setting,he could certainly talk,his observations and opinions were always constructive and forthright.

RIP Jack

Watching the tributes paid to Charlton on today's 'Football Focus' & hearing the story of how, when he was the Rep. of Ireland manager he would take himself off fishing in the Republic.  He'd call into a bar, not have any money on him but ask the landlord of the bar to cash him a cheque, which they did & gave him the money to buy drinks.  Only thing is, the landlord wouldn't cash the cheque but later frame it & stick it up on the wall. 

They reckon there's loads of bars all over Ireland with his cheques on the walls.  In affect, he never paid for a pint.   

It was also touching to see him award Bobby Charlton an award back in 2008 & say he was the best player he's ever seen & "He's my brother". 

I remember watching the penalty shootout v Romania at Italia 90

I was in my second year at Uni and probably should have been at a lecture but was round a mates house off Ecclesall Road with a gang of lads drinking cans of stones.

Great memories.

6 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Watching the tributes paid to Charlton on today's 'Football Focus' & hearing the story of how, when he was the Rep. of Ireland manager he would take himself off fishing in the Republic.  He'd call into a bar, not have any money on him but ask the landlord of the bar to cash him a cheque, which they did & gave him the money to buy drinks.  Only thing is, the landlord wouldn't cash the cheque but later frame it & stick it up on the wall. 

They reckon there's loads of bars all over Ireland with his cheques on the walls.  In affect, he never paid for a pint.   

It was also touching to see him award Bobby Charlton an award back in 2008 & say he was the best player he's ever seen & "He's my brother". 

I remember Jack and Maurice Setters coming in to the Park Hotel after a night match - loads of people offered to buy them a pint but Jack said they'd bought his ale already - they paid his wages.

One of the very best.

7 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Not true, apparently.

https://www.balls.ie/football/jack-charlton-cheque-440134