An Apology From The Moderating And Admin Team

Due to a technical hitch  today two of the busiest forum threads of recent months ended up damaged in a way that we can't get back I'm afraid.

The Coronavirus thread and the Conservatives thread, totalling just over 10.000 posts together, have had to be removed because we just can't unpick that number of posts.

It was accidental and the admin and mod team apologise to all of the forum members who are likely to be annoyed that both discussions are now removed.  Neither was removed due to rule breaks, it was entirely due to a random error, so we're sorry for that.

On the plus side, there's now an opening for lots more discussion on both topics on the newly posted part two threads...

Corona virus and the Conservatives. Two things I'm sure many of the denizens of this forum would love to wish away.

I wouldn’t worry about it stuff happens spilt milk and all that.

"To err is human but to really foul things up takes a computer"  😂

No worries, stuff happens :)

Thanks for letting us know, good to be honest.

At one point, I did suggest that coronavirus related topics could be allowed distinct threads. This idea made a lot of sense to me, easier more manageable to maintain smaller threads, less scope for various related topics all being discussed in one massive mega-thread etc.

Edited by Waldo

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

At one point, I did suggest that coronavirus related topics could be allowed distinct threads. This idea made a lot of sense to me, easier more manageable to maintain smaller threads, less scope for various related topics all being discussed in one massive mega-thread etc.

The problem with that is that whatever the sub-topic of a collection of threads starts out as, gradually they all end up merging into being the same discussion in 2/3/however many places.  This then results in people thinking that they have commented on one when actually they've commented on another, and consequently they believe that their posts have been removed when they haven't, and it all gets ugly and bad tempered.

We've done both ways, and both have drawbacks, to be honest.