Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

The Conservative Party - Part Two.

The article states that £364m of Covid related contracts have been awarded to firms with links to the Conservative Party, without going through a proper procurement process, using an EU loophole ironically. I do get that things need to be done quickly during a pandemic and normal process can be slow, and so some flexibility is required, and if there weren't all the other "coincidences" like Dido Harding and Robert Jenrick / Richard Desmond as well, it wouldn't look so dodgy. But there are those other "coincidences"

Edited by Delbow

28 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

If this happened in any other country we'd point and laugh. And use it as an excuse to reduce foreign aid.

Totally. If you read about a Zimbabwean official who had failed in a high profile role immediately being given another, and that they were married to the anti-corruption person, you'd roll your eyes and think "plus ça change".

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

The article states that £364m of Covid related contracts have been awarded to firms with links to the Conservative Party, without going through a proper procurement process, using an EU loophole ironically. I do get that things need to be done quickly during a pandemic and normal process can be slow, and so some flexibility is required, and if there weren't all the other "coincidences" like Dido Harding and Robert Jenrick / Richard Desmond as well, it wouldn't look so dodgy. But there are those other "coincidences"

If only the PM was as quick with his decisions about locking down, as the Conservative Ministers & officials are quick with awarding mates of theirs lucrative contracts, maybe the daily infection and death rate wouldn't be so catastrophic.

On 12/01/2021 at 19:10, apelike said:

Its not intended for 10 days but 5 and costed out at £10.50 not £30. Unfortunately its the usual Facebook/Twitter rants that have got it wrong. Having said that its a very poor show and should be much better.

This is the BBC's take on it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55628428

Not so! I am against giving out food boxes or vouchers and I am all for the parent to get extra means tested money so the parent can buy the food. Its economically better to do it that way.

Further information on this issue 

David Schneider on Twitter: "“These food parcels are unacceptable and don’t meet the standards we expect” says government who set the standards the food parcels basically met. https://t.co/OkqZPUQggK" / Twitter

Edited by Mister M

Just been reported that the head of the Covid recovery group, Steve Baker, has told Boris Johnson that his leadership is under threat if he doesn't outline a roadmap for when the restrictions are going to be lifted.

On 13/01/2021 at 23:17, Mister M said:

That's not really information just a Twitter media rant about it as I have already stated. Notice that in the Twitter replies someone has also posted that it was meant to have a value of £30 (just like you posted in post #782) when it was costed out at £10.50 and was for 5 days. I have actually tried to find the Government Guidance list that Schneider has used but so far have not been able to find it.

However... This is the latest information on the matter:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-free-school-meals-guidance/covid-19-free-school-meals-guidance-for-schools

In tonight's address to the nation from our(less than great) leader, he kept referring to Britain being better than other countries in terms of the roll-out of the vaccine.

This highlights his problem and deficiencies as a "leader."

As the scientists keep telling us (and him), this is a world problem!  Would have thought the word "pandemic" might have dawned its meaning on thicko Boris.

All he's trying to do is rescue his tarnished reputation through statistics, statistics, etc...

He and his government have blood on their hands.

Yeah .  Funny how it isn't a "world problem" when people are looking for a bit of government bashing and start comparing statistics between countries and blaming Boris accusing him of performing the worst.

Now the UK has something which they are performing well at and far better than many countries in the rest of Europe and they still get slagged off.....

Edited by ECCOnoob

On 15/01/2021 at 19:02, ECCOnoob said:

Yeah .  Funny how it isn't a "world problem" when people are looking for a bit of government bashing and start comparing statistics between countries and blaming Boris accusing him of performing the worst.

Now the UK has something which they are performing well at and far better than many countries in the rest of Europe and they still get slagged off.....

Couple of things - Tories ARE reviewing EU labour laws. Do you think they'll add safeguards?

BBC News - Brexit: Government considers scrapping some EU labour laws
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55725720

It looks like they're after the working time directive, i.e. they want firms to be able to insist that workers work over 48 hours per week. I expect they'll badge this as "giving workers the choice" when it's no such thing. All this at a time when the case for a 4 day week is getting stronger.

10 minutes ago, Delbow said:

It looks like they're after the working time directive, i.e. they want firms to be able to insist that workers work over 48 hours per week. I expect they'll badge this as "giving workers the choice" when it's no such thing. All this at a time when the case for a 4 day week is getting stronger.

Workers already have a choice and can work longer hours if they choose.

Unless I am am missing something, the only justification for diluting this protection in the WTD is greed.

2 hours ago, Delbow said:

The WTD has always been a waste of time. Few jobs are over 48 hours a week, and those that are just have employees sign the declaration and opt out. Just bin it.