The Conservative Party - Part Two.

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

Isn't it hypocritical of the Prime Minister to grant Dominic Cummings 40% payrise last year to £145,000 (Dominic Cummings awarded 40% pay hike last year | Financial Times (ft.com)), when UNICEF today in 2020 announces that they're helping to feed kids in the UK for the first time? (COVID-19: For the first time in its history UNICEF will help feed children in the UK | UK News | Sky News)

Absolutely shocking.

The culmination of a decade of Tory misrule.

29 minutes ago, West 77 said:

He has thought about it that is the reason he highlighted the fact one borough in London has received just £25,000.  You think for a moment about working out the percentage £25,000 is of the now reduced  UK foreign aid budget.

I don’t need to think about that.

I’m too busy thinking about how we arrived at the point that UNICEF were sending us aid.

The culmination of ten years of penny pinching, mean spirited Tory misrule.

4 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I don’t need to think about that.

I’m too busy thinking about how we arrived at the point that UNICEF were sending us aid.

The culmination of ten years of penny pinching, mean spirited Tory misrule.

I think you need to think about the fact that UNICEF are working and doing their good work in 190 countries. 

23 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I think you need to think about the fact that UNICEF are working and doing their good work in 190 countries. 

How many times have they had to provide aid to the U.K. in the past?

Edited by Pettytom

38 minutes ago, West 77 said:

In a world that has as much wealth as ours, UNICEF shouldn't even need to exist. In a country with as much wealth as the UK it's shameful that they feel the need to provide even the smallest amount of aid. While referrals to children's safeguarding services have hugely increased in the last ten years, funding to children's social care services from central government has on average reduced by 16%. This is how children have been treated by governments since 2010. It's institutionally abusive to children. 

In 2019, the UK had more foodbanks (1200 official by Trussell Trust, est.2/3rds of UK FBs = 1800 est.) than McDonald and Burger King (1249 + 500) restaurants.

In 2019, the UK turned down £22m of EU aid offered to help funding food banks.

At end 2019, the British electorate returned Tories to governance for the 4th time running since 2010, with a stonking 80 seat majority and Boris Johnson at the top.

That is all.

Edited by L00b

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

In 2019, the UK had more foodbanks (>2000 ext.) than McDonald and Burger King (1249 + 500) restaurants.

At end 2019, the British electorate returned Tories to governance for the 4th time running since 2010, with a stonking 80 seat majority and Boris Johnson at the top.

That is all.

If Government Minister's families relied on food banks, I'm sure they wouldn't have been so quick to turn their noses up to the EU's offer of help.

Edited by Mister M

8 minutes ago, L00b said:

In 2019, the UK had more foodbanks (1200 official by Trussell Trust, est.2/3rds of UK FBs = 1800 est.) than McDonald and Burger King (1249 + 500) restaurants.

That is all.

When I was growing up in the 70’s and early 80’s I often heard this country being referred to as the “Sick man of Europe”. I think we are now the deranged man of Europe.

50 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I don't know the answer to your question.  All I know is that last year the UK was the second highest contributor giving $494 million to UNICEF's budget. Only the USA contributed more to the UNICEF budget than the UK did with last year. 

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

Food has been offered before and been turned down (in 2014 I think during Austerity drive.) I remember reading about it. Maybe other times too.

And the Russians sent food parcels to the starving miners during the 1983- 84 Miner's strike.

Of course it's embarrassing for the Conservative governments so you don't get to hear about it much

Edited by Anna B

19 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I don't know the answer to your question.  All I know is that last year the UK was the second highest contributor giving $494 million to UNICEF's budget. Only the USA contributed more to the UNICEF budget than the UK did with last year. 

UNICEF isn't a bank account where we throw in a few quid and get it when we need it. We are the 6th largest economy in the world and we need charity. 

Worth pointing out that £1.3bn has been dished to Tory doners and friends in the form of PPE contracts, with no tenders or parliamentary oversight.

5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

UNICEF isn't a bank account where we throw in a few quid and get it when we need it. We are the 6th largest economy in the world and we need charity. 

Worth pointing out that £1.3bn has been dished to Tory doners and friends in the form of PPE contracts, with no tenders or parliamentary oversight.

Get a grip. UNICEF donated  just £25,000 to one London borough and received the second highest donation of  $494 from the 5th largest economy in the World last year.  The question you should be asking is why aren't China, Germany and Japan who have larger economies than the UK contributing more to the UNICEF budget than us.