The Conservative Party - Part Two.

11 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yeah yeah blah blah heard it all before..... still nothing to do coronavirus which is everything  to do with the purpose of the UNICEF aid.  

For goodness sakes even UNICEF themselves have specifically stated that the cause of the hardship and the need for this aid has arisen as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Not Tory politics, not austerity, not the super rich, not Thatcher, not the bankers, not capitalism - coronavirus.

Like I said. The usual suspects, the usual mouthpiece opposition MPs, the usual left wing newspaper rags all using this story to jump on the bandwagon and trying to do a bit of Tory bashing.

The usual international charities feeding our kids, because we can’t? 

Maybe you should take those blue specs off for a minute. This is a disgraceful turn of events

If we did less of this;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/29/covid-pandemic-tory-chumocracy-cronyism-spin

We might be able to ensure that our kids didn’t need international charities to feed them.

Next thing you know, there will be a queue of people asking why we get the aid, despite the fact that we have a space program 

12 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yeah yeah blah blah heard it all before..... still nothing to do coronavirus which is everything  to do with the purpose of the UNICEF aid.  

For goodness sakes even UNICEF themselves have specifically stated that the cause of the hardship and the need for this aid has arisen as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Not Tory politics, not austerity, not the super rich, not Thatcher, not the bankers, not capitalism - coronavirus.

Like I said. The usual suspects, the usual mouthpiece opposition MPs, the usual left wing newspaper rags all using this story to jump on the bandwagon and trying to do a bit of Tory bashing.

Surely you can do better than this. 10 years of austerity AND a conservative government with a cabinet picked purely on their brexit credentials. 

But let's say it's just down to coronavirus, and not mismanagement of it. How much UNICEF aid have other G7 members received? 

15 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Surely you can do better than this. 10 years of austerity AND a conservative government with a cabinet picked purely on their brexit credentials. 

But let's say it's just down to coronavirus, and not mismanagement of it. How much UNICEF aid have other G7 members received? 

I don't know off the top of my head I don't work for them.

But as their annual report states their work and  active projects are in 190 countries out of the 195 official territories in the world I suspect all seven of them at some point covid or not will have received some form of benefit from that very organisation that they're public monies go to support and fund.

This is clearly going round in circles. I maintain my point. This is a mountain out of a molehill stirred up by certain papers and fuelling the usual anti Tory agenda.

Let's just agree to disagree.

5 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I don't know off the top of my head I don't work for them.

But as their annual report states their work and  active projects are in 190 countries out of the 195 official territories in the world I suspect all seven of them at some point covid or not will have received some form of benefit from that very organisation that they're public monies go to support and fund.

This is clearly going round in circles. I maintain my point. This is a mountain out of a molehill stirred up by certain papers and fuelling the usual anti Tory agenda.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Fair enough, but considering Italy has had just as awful a time with covid PLUS a considerably bigger number of migrants on dodgy boats from the med I'd expect them to receive considerably more.

5 hours ago, Pettytom said:

For the first time ever, parts of our country are so broken that UNICEF are giving us aid.

I think you need to understand how it all works as UNICEF didn't give the UK aid. What UNICEF do is give out community based grants from £5,000 to £25,000 which are applied for by the charities concerned. As with most grants (including what the EU give) the charity/organisation applies for them first and in this case they gave a grant of £25,000 to a charity in London. They also do the same in many other countries including many EU ones as well.

https://www.unicef.org.uk/what-we-do/our-uk-work/

A quote from the above:

"Food Power for Generation Covid is focused on providing small scale grants (£5,000 – £25,000) to community based food banks, food pantries and other similar organisations to ensure children and families have access to the food they need during the crisis period.

Since the summer we have awarded funding to 30 organisations across England, Scotland and Wales, which will reach up to 15,000 vulnerable children until the end of February 2021."

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

This is a mountain out of a molehill stirred up by certain papers and fuelling the usual anti Tory agenda.

Spot on, hence my reply to it all..

4 hours ago, apelike said:

I think you need to understand how it all works as UNICEF didn't give the UK aid. What UNICEF do is give out community based grants from £5,000 to £25,000 which are applied for by the charities concerned. As with most grants (including what the EU give) the charity/organisation applies for them first and in this case they gave a grant of £25,000 to a charity in London. They also do the same in many other countries including many EU ones as well.

https://www.unicef.org.uk/what-we-do/our-uk-work/

A quote from the above:

"Food Power for Generation Covid is focused on providing small scale grants (£5,000 – £25,000) to community based food banks, food pantries and other similar organisations to ensure children and families have access to the food they need during the crisis period.

Since the summer we have awarded funding to 30 organisations across England, Scotland and Wales, which will reach up to 15,000 vulnerable children until the end of February 2021."

That’s alright then.

Thank you for clearing that up.

/sarcasm.

18 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

This is a mountain out of a molehill stirred up by certain papers

I agree that the usual media have stirred it up, but the point remains, should charities in the UK need to get funding from UNICEF, or does charity begin at home?

8 minutes ago, Litotes said:

I agree that the usual media have stirred it up, but the point remains, should charities in the UK need to get funding from UNICEF, or does charity begin at home?

Surely it saves the Government some money, what is wrong in that?

In other news, Priti Patel accuses senior Tory MP of breaking Covid rules at dinner attended by Tobias Ellwood.

I thought those two were both in the same party!

31 minutes ago, El Cid said:

LMAO youre joking arent you? how much money have they ****** up against the wall with brexit (none used ferries anybody?) and paying their mates extortionate money for PPE etc during covid, billions.

oh yes most of us have NOT forgotten what this diseased, useless government have wasted

37 minutes ago, El Cid said:

In other news, Priti Patel accuses senior Tory MP of breaking Covid rules at dinner attended by Tobias Ellwood.

I thought those two were both in the same party!

You'd hardly know it!

Tobias Elwood always seems reasonable, measured and intelligent when interviewed. 

Odd that Patel should make such a virtue of publicly criticising him for breaking the rules; when less than a month ago a report commissioned by the PM found that, for the second time, she broke the Ministerial Code! All who've done so in the past have either being sacked or resigned.

Waste, Negligence and Cronyism: Inside Britain’s Pandemic Spending:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/17/world/europe/britain-covid-contracts.html

"Taken together, about half of that $22 billion went to companies with political connections, no prior experience or histories of controversy."

36 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Waste, Negligence and Cronyism: Inside Britain’s Pandemic Spending:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/17/world/europe/britain-covid-contracts.html

"Taken together, about half of that $22 billion went to companies with political connections, no prior experience or histories of controversy."

If I had the money I'd copy that flow chart and put it on many billboards, particularly near job centres in former red-wall constituencies.