The Conservative Party - Part Two.

8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Normal people don't class a work gathering where food and drink is available as a party.

Boris asked for a delay in the phone call to Putin because he was duty bound to address the House of Commons as a consequence of the report being given to him. The phone call to Putin will now take place today meaning it hasn't been cancelled. 

But under the coronavirus rules which Johnson legislated for rules on social gatherings changed.

The Prime Minister will deflect all questions by referring to the ongoing police investigation.

I do not think prosecutions will follow the police investigation as  many other gatherings would need to be considered retrospectively.

I think we have reached a stage where there has been too much criticism of the Prime Minister for him to continue in post.

9 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

The Prime Minister will deflect all questions by referring to the ongoing police investigation.

I do not think prosecutions will follow the police investigation as  many other gatherings would need to be considered retrospectively.

I think we have reached a stage where there has been too much criticism of the Prime Minister for him to continue in post.

There are plenty in the Conservative Party who agree with that, and plenty who don't. We had to have the Brexit sideshow in order to deal with Tory infighting, but now they're back at it as badly as before. It feels like the only way to resolve the conflict between different factions in the Tory party is for them to have a large, work-related socially distanced gathering (BYOB) in an incinerator.

Edited by Delbow

4 hours ago, L00b said:

You say that like it’s an insult 🙄

With respect, absolutely no Insult from me hence the smiley and your first sentence says it all as that's also how I feel.

Anna and I disagree on a lot of topics, but one thing I shan’t ever take away from her, is her empathy. And in this day and age, you need bags and bags of the stuff to avoid falling into either side of the divisions which the Conservatives relentlessly push onto the British public, while Labour continually let them, and to keep a humanist, best common interest perspective.

So if that’s your only take, that I’m starting to sound like Anna, then there is little surprise that you cannot envisage politics and democracy to evolve in the UK absent some cataclysmic event or other. 😔

I think the chance of getting rid of Royalty anytime soon is remote and the chance of changing the political structure in the UK even remoter. I agree that change is needed but the ones in charge are the ones with money and power and that is what needs taking down first, hence the cataclysmic event you talk about. 

Edited by Dromedary

Seems like the speaker, and mps on both sides arent happy with the way the government leak things to the press first rather than going through the proper channels, could things be about to be tightened up?

6 hours ago, West 77 said:

Normal people don't class a work gathering where food and drink is available as a party.

Boris asked for a delay in the phone call to Putin because he was duty bound to address the House of Commons as a consequence of the report being given to him. The phone call to Putin will now take place today meaning it hasn't been cancelled. 

Not what Sue Gray said

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

Not what Sue Gray said

Bless him, hes still doubling down on what hes been saying, despite an official inquiry saying the opposite, lol

19 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Stop spreading fake News. Sue Gray hasn't mentioned the postponed phone call.

I wasn't talking about the postponed phone call

34 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Yes you were. Yesterday you mentioned the teapot Ian Dale was talking about the postponed phone call which you wrongly said had been cancelled.

If you're not able to explain yourself without resorting to  homophobic slurs then you'll be on the ignore list.

ITV also reported on the story

Boris Johnson 'unfit for office' as call with Vladimir Putin is cancelled | ITV News

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

If you're not able to explain yourself without resorting to  homophobic slurs then you'll be on the ignore list.

ITV also reported on the story

Boris Johnson 'unfit for office' as call with Vladimir Putin is cancelled | ITV News

Don't you love it - he'd rather try to save his own hide than publicise that a bullying racist sexist egomaniac is talking to Putin

I can't imagine Putin gives anything like a toss what Johnson has to say about Ukraine.

"Which one is Johnson again?"

"The foolish one who thinks he's Churchill, sir"

21 hours ago, Dromedary said:

With respect, absolutely no Insult from me hence the smiley and your first sentence says it all as that's also how I feel.

Duly and positively noted.

21 hours ago, Dromedary said:

I think the chance of getting rid of Royalty anytime soon is remote and the chance of changing the political structure in the UK even remoter. I agree that change is needed but the ones in charge are the ones with money and power and that is what needs taking down first, hence the cataclysmic event you talk about. 

I don’t see the causal link between royalty and political structure in the issue, given the purely figurative role of royalty in that political structure.

And it’s not so much the political structure (which I would understand, conventionally enough for a representative democracy with separated powers, as HoL + HoC with the legislative powers, the government with executive powers, and the Courts with judicial powers) that needs changing, as political systems, in particular the electoral system and related constitutional rules and safeguards (e.g. capacity to modify electoral boundaries), and personal accountability (Ministerial code, Nolan principles and Parliamentary immunity are down to a bad joke these days).

You’ve had the Conservatives in charge for nigh-on 12 years, and the latest headlines show budgetary waste on the scale of £13bn about Covid management and policies, Johnson’s lauded Levelling up policies unfunded and all but canned, whilst Kent is getting still more concreted over for more Farage Garages.

There’s a litany of governance failures by now, that should be seen as such wholly irrespectively of one’s right, centre or left political leanings, yet no end in sight to the calamitous captaincy of HMS UK and all who sail on her. Something’s got to give at some point. And that point will get that much closer throughout 2022 as inflation and shortages start to bite Joe Average for real.

Edited by L00b