The Conservative Party - Part Two.

I see that Kathryn Stone the parliamentary commissioner for standards, received threats from members of the public after the Business Secretary, Kwasi Kwarteng, questioned her role in the Owen Paterson lobbying scandal investigation.

It's weird how people are so wound up and angry that they take their fury out on innocent public servants. We saw this kind of nastiness being whipped up in the Brexit debate

3 hours ago, Delbow said:

Boris Johnson today on a visit to Hexham Hospital6189232c2600003c0a3cdbe4.jpeg

What is wrong with this photo?

Hes not wearing a bra? i can see his nips dammit

4 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Hes not wearing a bra? i can see his nips dammit

Its one of those flimsy see through bras  . Curiously why are you on nipple watch ?

Just now, hackey lad said:

Its one of those flimsy see through bras  . Curiously why are you on nipple watch ?

Im not, they just popped out and almost had mi eye out

4 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Im not, they just popped out and almost had mi eye out

Chapel hat pegs 😀

Let's face it.  All this will be forgotten about before Christmas & certainly won't have any bearing on the next General Election. 

43 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Oh dear, it gets worse for the Tories.

I have just reported Liam Fox for fly tipping  :)

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Let's face it.  All this will be forgotten about before Christmas & certainly won't have any bearing on the next General Election. 

What, the lack of mask in a hospital? Of course it won't be. Also, we won't be talking about corruption tomorrow, it will be Boris without a mask. 

It's genius really.

On 07/11/2021 at 17:17, Mister M said:

Since I haven't put forward my own pet manifesto, I don't know where you get the idea that I'm confusing compassion with 'not getting my own way'. I was responding to a post saying that he would prefer a more 'compassionate Conservatism', than what's on offer now. And what's on offer from Johnson is angering traditional Tories in the constituencies and in the press.

After a huge rise in the national debt and deficit caused by the pandemic (both are higher now than they were after the 2008/9 banking crisis) traditional Tories would like a return to austerity. Boris Johnson senses that the country have had their fill with that gruel. Indeed the Chancellor in his last budget indicated that there would be no return to austerity, that the key to getting the debt and deficit down is to grow the economy and invest in people and infrastructure. I don't know if you contributed to various threads on here when austerity was the order of the day, but many Tories were absolutely convinced of it's rightness, and mocked Labour for the idea of using the state to kickstart a recovery. Tories on here said "we need to balance the books, there is no alternative, we can't afford public spending, why should the state waste money on public projects...." Perhaps they'd like to tell that to Johnson and Sunak now?

With regards to people not 'looking to be told how to live their life', we've just been through a pandemic where Boris Johnson's pathological fear of anyone looking to him for guidance on such matters has cost many people their lives. He didn't want to lockdown, hence we went into lockdown late; lockdown were lifted to early; and the farce just before Christmas where Johnson's determination "not to be the Grinch that stole Christmas" saw infection and death rates soar in January through to March. 

I think many Tories would also disagree with your characterisation of them as a party 'not interested in making people 'better' than they actually want, or need, to be.' Really? Isn't that the point of education. I thought the Tories were the party of 'aspiration' - well they claim to be.

I do agree more or less with quite a bit of what you say there. I would take issue with the final point though as I probably didn't make myself clear, they certainly are the party of aspiration, but I meant within what people wanted for themselves, not that they should conform to a pie-eyed pseudo-Marxist model of social justice happy-clappy caring sharing love-thy-neighbour wokery. Most folk are decent folk and they know how to behave without having their day-to-day life politicised by middle-class paternalists. Orwell's sandal-wearing vegetarians with pistachio coloured shirts if you like.