The Conservative Party - Part Two.

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

After only having one single leader who's won a general election in half a century you would think the penny would have dropped by now for Labour.

Wrong again. I do wish you would check your facts occasionally.

5 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Wrong again. I do wish you would check your facts occasionally.

..."half a century" is quite clearly a turn of phrase to all but the silliest of people and trolls. I have to say though, that I enjoy having you hanging on my every word, trying to assemble a not-very-witty retort in less time than the last one took you. I appreciate the attention and effort, please keep it up. 👍 

But technically yes, you are correct because Harold Wilson won an election 48 years ago and Blair won his first quarter of a century ago. However, die-hard left-wingers say that Tony Blair was a Tory, so I win either way. ;) 

It's thanks to folk like you that people keep voting Tory and keep the lunatics away from the levers of power. You're doing a grand job, like a kind of perpetual motion machine for the perpetually angry.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

..."half a century" is quite clearly a turn of phrase to all but the silliest of people and trolls. I have to say though, that I enjoy having you hanging on my every word, trying to assemble a not-very-witty retort in less time than the last one took you. I appreciate the attention and effort, please keep it up. 👍 

Wrong again.

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

We will be having another General Election before December 2024 when the electorate will judge the current Tory Government on their performance.  There is big tick in the Get Brexit Done box,  Another big tick in not extending the Transitional period box and getting a trade deal completed with the EU.  Regarding the 2019 Tory manifesto the World quickly changed at the beginning of 2020 when an once in one hundred year pandemic occurred meaning the was a massive change in planned government spending meaning it is no longer possible to deliver on every manifesto commitment.  At the next general election the electorate will have the opportunity to change the government and choose an alternative which is how democracy works.

Or keep the conservatives in again.

38 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Which is the most likely outcome of the next General Election.  Point scoring victories is the best the anti Tory mob / anti democratic mob can hope for many years to come. The truth is the way the anti Tory mob behave is like a football team at the bottom league celebrating every time when they win a corner. 

We just cheer Johnson’s run of own goals.

4 hours ago, Tony said:

You seem so be making the all-too-common error of confusing "compassion" with not getting your own way. 

See the Angela Raynor Thinks You're Scum thread for further info.

The basic truth is that most people prefer governments that do basic things well and don't interfere in their life beyond what they can't do for themselves. They aren't looking for revolution. They aren't looking a nanny state. They aren't looking to be told how to live their life. Very, very few people fall into that category and that's the key difference between the two main parties - one has worked it out the basics, the other is trying to make other people 'better' than they actually want, or need, to be.

After only having one single leader who's won a general election in half a century you would think the penny would have dropped by now for Labour. People vote for Tories because they give them what they want, or more importantly don't give them what they don't want. 

Since I haven't put forward my own pet manifesto, I don't know where you get the idea that I'm confusing compassion with 'not getting my own way'. I was responding to a post saying that he would prefer a more 'compassionate Conservatism', than what's on offer now. And what's on offer from Johnson is angering traditional Tories in the constituencies and in the press.

After a huge rise in the national debt and deficit caused by the pandemic (both are higher now than they were after the 2008/9 banking crisis) traditional Tories would like a return to austerity. Boris Johnson senses that the country have had their fill with that gruel. Indeed the Chancellor in his last budget indicated that there would be no return to austerity, that the key to getting the debt and deficit down is to grow the economy and invest in people and infrastructure. I don't know if you contributed to various threads on here when austerity was the order of the day, but many Tories were absolutely convinced of it's rightness, and mocked Labour for the idea of using the state to kickstart a recovery. Tories on here said "we need to balance the books, there is no alternative, we can't afford public spending, why should the state waste money on public projects...." Perhaps they'd like to tell that to Johnson and Sunak now?

With regards to people not 'looking to be told how to live their life', we've just been through a pandemic where Boris Johnson's pathological fear of anyone looking to him for guidance on such matters has cost many people their lives. He didn't want to lockdown, hence we went into lockdown late; lockdown were lifted to early; and the farce just before Christmas where Johnson's determination "not to be the Grinch that stole Christmas" saw infection and death rates soar in January through to March. 

I think many Tories would also disagree with your characterisation of them as a party 'not interested in making people 'better' than they actually want, or need, to be.' Really? Isn't that the point of education. I thought the Tories were the party of 'aspiration' - well they claim to be.

Edited by Mister M

55 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Continue cheering.  The anti Brexit mob / anti democratic mob did plenty of cheering when Boris first became prime minister and lost nearly ever vote in the rogue parliament.  There was also plenty of cheers from the anti Brexit mob / anti democratic mob when Boris lost the Supreme Court Case and the judges ruled the prorogation of parliament was unlawfully.  All the cheering from the anti Brexit mob / anti democratic mob soon stopped after Boris won an eighty seat majority at the December 2019 general election.

It doesn’t reflect well on those who continue to support him,but he will be gone before the next GE if the party has any ethics at all.

Guest sibon
47 minutes ago, RJRB said:

It doesn’t reflect well on those who continue to support him,but he will be gone before the next GE if the party has any ethics at all.

The only ethics that apply to Tory mps, is winning.

So, yes. Johnson will be gone before the next election.

17 minutes ago, sibon said:

The only ethics that apply to Tory mps, is winning.

So, yes. Johnson will be gone before the next election.

I don't think he will. And he'll win it.

I cannot fathom why, but there we are.

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

I don't think he will. And he'll win it.

I cannot fathom why, but there we are.

Got to agree with you . Dont know who could take over at the moment 

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Got to agree with you . Dont know who could take over at the moment 

I'd give it you hackers over the current lot. They are currupt liars who do what they like and then go up in polls. I don't know why they even bothered with the u turn. 

13 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I'd give it you hackers over the current lot. They are currupt liars who do what they like and then go up in polls. I don't know why they even bothered with the u turn. 

How do you know that I am not a corrupt liar, in it for a shilling ?