The Conservative Party - Part Two.

3 minutes ago, West 77 said:

He's done the honourable thing.   

Yes, by delaying his resignation by a day he has caused massive embarrassment to the government.

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Just a few short weeks after David Amess's death and discussion of angry constituents and threats to MPs, the Tories pull a stunt like this which puts MPs back in danger again.

That was my thought. Perhaps that terrorist should have waited a couple of weeks and offed Patterson instead, then people wouldn't have been so bothered.

The BBC report ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59049343 ) begins:

' Ex-minister Owen Paterson could be suspended from the Commons for 30 days after an MPs' watchdog found he had "repeatedly" used his position as an MP to benefit two companies who paid him as a consultant.

The watchdog described his actions as "an egregious case of paid advocacy". '

Would anybody care to speculate whether "an egregious case of paid advocacy" by an MP would if proved to the requisite standard in a criminal court amount to the offence of being bribed under the Bribery Act 2010.

Anybody think there will be a criminal investigation?

Edited by Carbuncle

Guest sibon
38 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Harold Wilson said "A week is a long time in politics"   In these modern times a day is a long time in politics.   His resignation will spare his loyal colleagues further embarrassment. 

I'm pleased to see that you acknowledge that his behaviour was embarrassing.

Some might say that it was worse than that.

47 minutes ago, West 77 said:

He's done the honourable thing.   

And some less than honourable things

Edited by sibon

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

That was my thought. Perhaps that terrorist should have waited a couple of weeks and offed Patterson instead, then people wouldn't have been so bothered.

That is in bad taste

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

I stated yesterday I had an open mind about this incident,  Mr Patterson put his colleagues in an awkward situation.  

There does seem to be a problem with serving MPs getting lucrative sums of money for roles with private companies which is not against the rules.  However lobbying for private companies interests while receiving payment from them is against the rules. There is a grey area because a MP is open to allegations they are lobbying for the interests of companies while acting in the nation's interest.  I've no idea whether Mr Patterson deliberately broke the lobbying rules but he clearly doesn't believe he was treated fairly by those who carried out the investigation,  He may have done less than honourable things and he may also have behaved honourably which led to his problems.  

The cross party standards committee called the behaviour of Patterson as an "egregious breach of lobbying rules" suggesting that he did indeed deliberately break lobbying rules.

Have you found any information to suggest that patterson didn't understand the lobbying rules, or broke them by accident?

Edited by Mister M

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

Harold Wilson said "A week is a long time in politics"   In these modern times a day is a long time in politics.   His resignation will spare his loyal colleagues further embarrassment. 

It is Johnson who has put his loyal colleagues in a totally invidious position .

Yesterdays vote was a farce and reflects badly on his judgement.

Oh to be a fly on the wall between the vote and Rees-Moggs embarrassing statement today.

18 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A rather pointless contribution because I've stated that I've no idea whether Mr Patterson deliberately broke any rules. All I know is Mr Patterson denies any wrongdoing and doesn't believe he's been treated fairly.

You said: I've no idea whether Mr Patterson deliberately broke the lobbying rules

I said: The cross party standards committee called the behaviour of Patterson as an "egregious breach of lobbying rules" suggesting that he did indeed deliberately break lobbying rules.

So not pointless at all.

I see from your contributions regarding this affair that you're desperate to minimise Patterson's behaviour, and he's an 'honourable' MP, apart from breaking lobbying rules. I sense that you want him not to feel so bad at this rotten time. 

I've been doing some thinking, and perhaps I can offer a solution. How about offering your services to Mr Patterson as a human footstool. That way, he gets to put his feet up of an evening after a hard day's lobbying, and you get to make yourself feel better by being of service to him.

Everybody wins :)

Edited by Mister M

A rather pointless contribution because I've stated that I've no idea whether Mr Patterson deliberately broke any rules. All I know is Mr Patterson denies any wrongdoing and doesn't believe he's been treated fairly.

theres a difference in believing something and being something, most prisoners in prison say they are innocent, doesnt mean they are

4 minutes ago, melthebell said:

theres a difference in believing something and being something, most prisoners in prison say they are innocent, doesnt mean they are

Under Westy's new standard of justice, people will only go to prison when they feel they have been convicted fairly. Oh wait, ... no that will only apply to Conservative MPs.

2 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Under Westy's new standard of justice, people will only go to prison when they feel they have been convicted fairly. Oh wait, ... no that will only apply to Conservative MPs.

exactly, it doesnt count for normal everyday "scum" just Bullingdon ********