Jump to content

The Conservative Party - Part Two.

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Did you not know that Cameron studied economics at Oxford University?  Did you not know that David Cameron was the Special Adviser to Norman Lamont when he was Chancellor of the Exchequer  during John Mayor's time as Prime Minister?   Someone of David Cameron's experience and knowledge will have been a huge asset to an investment company such as Greenhill Capital.  

It's his contacts they were after. They knew he would be able to pull some strings for them.  If he wasn't a former PM they wouldn't be interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

It's his contacts they were after. They knew he would be able to pull some strings for them.  If he wasn't a former PM they wouldn't be interested.

I don't disagree with that reason for employing David Cameron.  I also don't criticise David Cameron for accepting the highly paid position. I should imagine his salary can be judged to be the going rate for a former British Prime Minister but less than the yearly salary for a top British professional footballer such as Marcus Rashford.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Not a scandal because Cameron hasn't done anything wrong.  Cameron has been unlucky because he didn't expect to get his hands dirty.  Cameron's loyalty was towards Greenhill and he did the honourable thing by contacting his government contacts in an attempt to obtain a  government covid loan for his employer. 

David Cameron 'showed a significant lack of judgement' over Greensill lobbying:

Quote

David Cameron "showed a significant lack of judgement" when he lobbied Rishi Sunak over financial firm Greensill Capital as it was collapsing at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, a damning report from a Conservative-dominated select committee has found.

 

MPs on the House of Commons Treasury select committee found that lobbying rules were "insufficient" in the face of Mr Cameron's sustained contact on behalf of Greensill, often by text message to key figures including the Chancellor, and should be strengthened.

 

Mr Cameron was lobbying ministers while he had "a very significant economic interest in the firm" and should have been told to move to "more formal methods of communication at the initial stage of his lobbying".

 

The MPs concluded: "In the light of these events, the committee expects the Treasury to put in place and publish formal processes to deal with lobbying attempts by ex-Prime Ministers or Ministers in the future."

So honourable that a Tory dominated select committee thinks his behaviour was so egregious the lobbying rules need to be strengthened to prevent similar behaviour in future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, altus said:

David Cameron 'showed a significant lack of judgement' over Greensill lobbying:

So honourable that a Tory dominated select committee thinks his behaviour was so egregious the lobbying rules need to be strengthened to prevent similar behaviour in future.

At the time David Cameron's number one loyalty was to his employer who was Greenhill Capital and he did the honourable deed in using his government contacts to lobby for a government covid loan for his employer. 

 

I don't disagree that lobbying rules need changing to prevent similar behaviour in the future.  However, the pandemic has brought unprecedented circumstances meaning many businesses previously financially sound got into difficulty.

Edited by West 77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Did you not know that Cameron studied economics at Oxford University?  Did you not know that David Cameron was the Special Adviser to Norman Lamont when he was Chancellor of the Exchequer  during John Mayor's time as Prime Minister?   Someone of David Cameron's experience and knowledge will have been a huge asset to an investment company such as Greenhill Capital.  

Studying something and doing it are a million miles apart, and as for advising Lamont in Major’s terrible reign doesn’t impress me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Studying something and doing it are a million miles apart, and as for advising Lamont in Major’s terrible reign doesn’t impress me.

Lucky for David Cameron he didn't have to impress unimportant people without any influence to gain the highly lucrative role he was given by Greenhill Capital. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Lucky for David Cameron he didn't have to impress unimportant people without any influence to gain the highly lucrative role he was given by Greenhill Capital. 

He just needed his little black book of contacts. If they needed a loan why didn't they just apply via the normal channels like every one else.  The chancellor gave details about the loans/support available and there was lots of information about how to apply for them. I don't see why you need ex PM for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

He just needed his little black book of contacts. If they needed a loan why didn't they just apply via the normal channels like every one else.  The chancellor gave details about the loans/support available and there was lots of information about how to apply for them. I don't see why you need ex PM for this.

They most likely did apply for a government covid loan via the normal channels.  At the end of the day around 250 people lost their jobs as a consequence of the collapse of Greenhill Capital.  Those former employees will have expected Greenhill Capital including David Cameron to use every trick in the book to try and save their jobs and prevent the collapse of the business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

They most likely did apply for a government covid loan via the normal channels.  At the end of the day around 250 people lost their jobs as a consequence of the collapse of Greenhill Capital.  Those former employees will have expected Greenhill Capital including David Cameron to use every trick in the book to try and save their jobs and prevent the collapse of the business.

There’s using every legal trick in the book and there is trading fraudulently. They are very different things.

 

It might be prudent to wait for the outcome of the investigation before trying to defend Cameron’s actions. We can all see his naked greed and lack of morals, it’s just possible that there is more to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sibon said:

There’s using every legal trick in the book and there is trading fraudulently. They are very different things.

 

It might be prudent to wait for the outcome of the investigation before trying to defend Cameron’s actions. We can all see his naked greed and lack of morals, it’s just possible that there is more to come.

As far as I know there are no allegations of any fraudulent trading or fraudulent activity.  David Cameron hasn't been accused of any wrongdoing meaning the whole saga is more about political point scoring than anything else.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, West 77 said:

As far as I know there are no allegations of any fraudulent trading or fraudulent activity.  

 

 

Maybe you need to know a bit more then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.