The Conservative Party - Part Two.

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

Most likely if the Labour party were in government now there would be a three day week and power cuts making it difficult for anyone to complain about anything on this forum.

You mean like when we had a Tory government and Heath was PM 😎

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Tory win with perhaps a reduced majority. Possibly with Gove in charge. If what has happened over the past 18 months not swayed you, nothing will. They're still riding high in the polls.

There is still time for anything to happen before the next election.

We have a massive debt and Brexit will need to show some posative news. Its only a short time after we have left, another 2 years and there will need to be some posative results.

8 hours ago, Mister M said:

Given that this is the Conservative Party thread, I just wonder if the Labour Party were in Government now, and 

Supermarket shelves were empty

Food was rotting on farms 

There weren't enough test tubes for blood tests

We'd had over 150K Covid deaths

We'd abandoned our Afghan allies

And no-one had resigned

Whether people on this forum would be on the Conservative Party thread complaining about Theresa May / David Cameron / Boris Johnson, and ignoring Labour Ministers...? 

Somehow doubt it.

Over 150K covid tests , true .  No one resigned  , true .  The rest  , false .  

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Over 150K covid tests , true .  No one resigned  , true .  The rest  , false .  

'150K covid tests , true'. Think there were more than that weren't there?

Sorry meant 150K covid deaths true. What about the other points ?

Edited by hackey lad

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

You posted that ,so I took your word on it . What about the other points ?

No I said quoted the number of deaths, you said that there had been 150k tests.

The other points stand. Brexit is causing shortages of certain foods, due in part to distribution, farmers reporting food rotting in fields, I assume because many of their regular staff have left due to Brexit, and many of those who help our service personnel are left in Afghanistan. 

Given the intense scrutiny that Jeremy Corbyn who was never Prime Minister, gets on here. I think it fair policy decisions introduced by this Government, or events that happen on this Government's watch are equally scrutinised.

Just now, Mister M said:

No I said quoted the number of deaths, you said that there had been 150k tests.

The other points stand. Brexit is causing shortages of certain foods, due in part to distribution, farmers reporting food rotting in fields, I assume because many of their regular staff have left due to Brexit, and many of those who help our service personnel are left in Afghanistan. 

Given the intense scrutiny that Jeremy Corbyn who was never Prime Minister, gets on here. I think it fair policy decisions introduced by this Government, or events that happen on this Government's watch are equally scrutinised.

I know you quoted the number of deaths , I made a mistake in my reply by saying tests not deaths , I corrected that . Shelves are not empty , food rots in the field every year  , we have not abandoned people in Afghanistan 

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I know you quoted the number of deaths , I made a mistake in my reply by saying tests not deaths , I corrected that . Shelves are not empty , food rots in the field every year  , we have not abandoned people in Afghanistan 

No problems then.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

There's nothing to address because Labour aren't in power or ever likely to be anytime soon.  The only point of any merit is most unbiased people who are eligible to vote believe things would be much worse if Labour were in power at this unprecedented time in our and the word's history. 

And yet nearly 60% of people agree with Labour party policies when not branded with the Labour party name.

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

There's nothing to address because Labour aren't in power or ever likely to be anytime soon.  The only point of any merit is most unbiased people who are eligible to vote believe things would be much worse if Labour were in power at this unprecedented time in our and the word's history. 

Even at the last election the Tories only got a thumbs up from 37% of the population.

The total number of UK Parliamentary electoral registrations in December 2019 was 47,074,800 yet there was around 53 million adult living in the UK in 2019.

Membership of the Conservative Party has been in long-term decline. In 2005, when David Cameron became party leader, the Conservatives counted 258,239 members. As of July 2019, there were 180,000 members. Among them are far more men than women

20 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The last time the Labour party won a general election they had 35% of the vote.  That's how the first past the post system works.  We saw what happened in the rogue parliament when the largest party didn't have a majority which justifies keeping the first past the post system which is  more likely to prevent hung parliaments.

The only thing rogue in parliament at that time was the government's attempt to bypass the sovereignty of parliament.

56 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

And you're right to point out that that's just the fraction of registered voters.  As you say, there are maybe 5 or 6 million people who are eligible to vote but are so disconnected or disillusioned that they don't even register.  None of this speaks of a healthy democracy.

The millions of people that voted for alternative parties should be telling us that we should get PR, instead it MORE first past the post.