The Conservative Party - Part Two.

People do die..... Millions every year all over the world 

It's part of life 

10 minutes ago, Axe said:

All these alleged comments are being taken out of context.  There were private discussions in which they had to guess how many people would die if they did not have more lockdowns.  Each year thousands of people die of flu which could be reduced if there were lockdowns during the flu season. However, the numbers who die of flu is accepted.

I would also imagine that the flu vaccine while not perfect significantly reduces the number of deaths each year from the flu.

Of course politicians and scientists should have debated strategies; the problem being identified here is that Government ministers did not consult scientists about the "eat out to help out" scheme, which contradicts ministers at the time saying they were "following the science at all times". Secondly in what context is "just let people die" an acceptable statement for a Chancellor to make?

6 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

People do die..... Millions every year all over the world 

It's part of life 

Though I'm sure that if senior members of a government in whose power it is to prevent its citizens dying earlier than they need to, I'm sure they would.

One would hope. 

If someone on the small boats thread, has stated that "people migrate from one country to another, it's part of life", I'm pretty sure you'd have something to say about that!

Edited by Mister M

4 minutes ago, Delbow said:

"Just let Tories die"

Given the fact that the older you are, the more likely it is you are to vote, and to vote Tory; I think come election time, the Government will be rueing the day they were so callous about letting the elderly go so quickly.

20 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I would also imagine that the flu vaccine while not perfect significantly reduces the number of deaths each year from the flu.

Of course politicians and scientists should have debated strategies; the problem being identified here is that Government ministers did not consult scientists about the "eat out to help out" scheme, which contradicts ministers at the time saying they were "following the science at all times". Secondly in what context is "just let people die" an acceptable statement for a Chancellor to make?

Though I'm sure that if senior members of a government in whose power it is to prevent its citizens dying earlier than they need to, I'm sure they would.

One would hope. 

If someone on the small boats thread, has stated that "people migrate from one country to another, it's part of life", I'm pretty sure you'd have something to say about that!

Actually I disagree

It's not up to the government to prevent us from dying 

I believe strongly in personal responsibility and every time weak people demand that the government takes control of our lives they give them more power

COVID was a perfect example of that 

Edited by Jack Grey

18 minutes ago, Mister M said:

The scientists knew that eating establishments were open for business.  Why should they have been consulted about the "eat out to help" scheme?

You do not know what was being said before the alleged "just let people die " comment.    Context is everything.  Rishi Sunak will explain the comment if it is true at a later date.

Edited by Axe

10 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Actually I disagree

It's not up to the government to prevent us from dying 

I believe strongly in personal responsibility and everything weak people demand that the government takes control of our lives they give them more power

COVID was a perfect example of that 

We're talking about elderly, vulnerable and people with compromised immune systems for God's sake! What is the matter with you? EDIT: I figured it out - you're an extreme right winger with a Darwinist view of the world. That's what's wrong with you.

So when Ministers say in the context of illegal immigration that "a government's first responsibility is to keep its citizens safe", you'd disagree?

If you're so keen on personal responsibility, do you think that it's okay for Government ministers to blame other people for the mistakes that ministers made during the pandemic? Whose to blame for you having such a flaky understanding of the facts?

The power that the government assumed during the pandemic has now been rescinded.

Edited by Mister M

51 minutes ago, Delbow said:

"Just let Tories die"

Good grief.

2 hours ago, Axe said:

The scientists knew that eating establishments were open for business.  Why should they have been consulted about the "eat out to help" scheme?

You do know that it was the cause of a major spike in infection shortly after it was introduced? Of course they should've been consulted beforehand. What do you think "following the science" means? Or is that context bound? "Follow the science, until we don't" :rolleyes:

You do not know what was being said before the alleged "just let people die " comment.    Context is everything. Rishi Sunak will explain the comment if it is true at a later date.

Okay, well use your imagination: in the context of a pandemic what could be said beforehand to warrant the use of the phrases "let the bodies pile high", and "just let people die" afterwards? Bear in mind Johnson's senior political advisers, it was later established, found the whole episode of TV footage from Italy of people succumbing to a mysterious and deadly virus absolutely hilarious.

Edited by Mister M

5 hours ago, Axe said:

You do not know what was being said before the alleged "just let people die " comment.    Context is everything.  Rishi Sunak will explain the comment if it is true at a later date.

You can make all the excuses you like.

Old people know what the government said about them dying and they know it was said in all seriousness.

They are the ones who keep Tories in power and you can be sure,  they will remember how cheap and expendable,  their lives are considered.

Let the Tory party die instead.   They cost the country more money and will be less badly missed.

Edited by Organgrinder

14 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Old people know what the government said about the dying and they know it was said in all seriousness.

They are the ones who keep Tories in power and you can be sure,  they will remember how cheap and expendable,  their lives are considered.

Let the Tory party die instead.   They cost the country more money and will be less badly missed.

Don't bet on that .

13 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Old people know what the government said about them dying and they know it was said in all seriousness.

No making any excuses.  I am just being rational.  Rational people regardless of age understand the government had difficult decisions to make regarding lockdowns.

13 hours ago, Mister M said:

You do know that it was the cause of a major spike in infection shortly after it was introduced? Of course they should've been consulted beforehand. What do you think "following the science" means? Or is that context bound? "Follow the science, until we don't" :rolleyes:

Okay, well use your imagination: in the context of a pandemic what could be said beforehand to warrant the use of the phrases "let the bodies pile high", and "just let people die" afterwards? Bear in mind Johnson's senior political advisers, it was later established, found the whole episode of TV footage from Italy of people succumbing to a mysterious and deadly virus absolutely hilarious.

The scientists were consulted before lockdown restrictions were lifted and eating establishments allowed to re-open.  Do you think eaten establishments should not have been allowed to re-open?

Not going to waste any more time regarding the alleged private comments because your anti Tory bias means you are not rational.